ADVERTISEMENT

Bashing the Boise bashers

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I have some good stats backing Boise State at the top of my story explaining my latest Examiner.com top 25 ballot.

I have no connection to Boise State at all, but it amazes me how many people dismiss a team with this much experience and one whose defense came up huge in its two biggest games last year.

Backing Boise State

Thanks. Great to see someone try to take an objective view of what Boise has accomplished.

FWIW (per your article) I still think Texas has a good defense, but their LB's fell apart against UCLA. You need to good LB play to handle the pistol. Fill the gaps!

Nobody is taking Nevada seriously enough yet (Well, they are starting to see it as they popped into the polls this week). That pistol offense is a nightmare to defend if you have the right players.
This post was edited on 9/26 3:42 PM by SoCalBroncoFan

I have a lot of respect for the accomplishments of Boise State and Coach Petersen. That being said, the schedule just cannot be overlooked. I don't care if it's Alabama, USC, Ohio State, or Texas--no team deserves a National Title shot with Boise's cupcake schedule. More than few FBS teams could go 12-0 with the only non-cupcake teams being V. Tech, Ore. St., and Nevada(can't believe I just included Nevada as a tough one)... Put Boise in the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, or Pac 10 + 1 decent preseason game like most teams schedule, and Boise finishes with one loss (at the very least). Strength of schedule just cannot be overlooked. It's a travesty that more people don't point this out. Boise St. may be worthy of the title game, but until they play a conference schedule that includes several FBS powerhouses and FBS mid tier schools week in and week out, they don't deserve the opportunity--Big Brand name schools wouldn't deserve the title either with your schedule. Join the Pac 10 and earn your respect the right way.
This post was edited on 9/26 10:37 PM by Hawks2Title

ANYONE who includes the phrase "put Boise State in the S.E.C." has ZERO credibility.........period............end of conversation.

What the completely clueless, like this Iowa guy, simply don't get in all of this is Boise State does, and IS doing, what they do with an athletic budget that is about ONE-FIFTH of what the privileged ELITISTS of the B.C.S. conferences operate with. Boise State's football budget for the 2008 season (last figures available) was 7.7 million dollars. Yet Ohio State's football budget for 2008 was 48 million dollars, i.e., more than SIX TIMES the football budget for Boise State.
This post was edited on 9/27 9:04 AM by BroncoSaurus

Gee, I thought he had a great idea. Join the PAC 10. Why hasn't anyone else ever thought of that?

I just called the PAC 10 commissioner. He didn't answer but I left a message on his answering machine. Told him Boise State was going to join their conference next year instead of the Mt West. And if he would be so kind as to let me know what the new schedule was going to look like as soon as possible so I can get an early start on my travel arrangements for the season.

Originally posted by Hawks2Title:
I have a lot of respect for the accomplishments of Boise State and Coach Petersen. That being said, the schedule just cannot be overlooked. I don't care if it's Alabama, USC, Ohio State, or Texas--no team deserves a National Title shot with Boise's cupcake schedule. More than few FBS teams could go 12-0 with the only non-cupcake teams being V. Tech, Ore. St., and Nevada(can't believe I just included Nevada as a tough one)... Put Boise in the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, or Pac 10 + 1 decent preseason game like most teams schedule, and Boise finishes with one loss (at the very least). Strength of schedule just cannot be overlooked. It's a travesty that more people don't point this out. Boise St. may be worthy of the title game, but until they play a conference schedule that includes several FBS powerhouses and FBS mid tier schools week in and week out, they don't deserve the opportunity--Big Brand name schools wouldn't deserve the title either with your schedule. Join the Pac 10 and earn your respect the right way.

This post was edited on 9/26 10:37 PM by Hawks2Title

In what way do you think the schedule is being overlooked?

Its taken the best winning percentage in D1 football over the past decade to build up to this point. How completely myopic of you to overlook that "little" fact.

Boise needs to join a real conference to be respected by the nation...might as well be the SEC, they should have tried to get in on the Big 12.

(" have a lot of respect for the accomplishments of Boise State and Coach Petersen. That being said, the schedule just cannot be overlooked.")

I agree. Sorry. I'm not saying that Boise isn't a good team but as I look down that sad pathetic weak schedule there is just no getting around the fact that it is totally impossible to tell how good based on those opponents. There are 2 semi-decent teams on that schedule and 10 homecoming opponents. 9 of the teams on that list would have 45 or more points scored on them by virtually any team in the top 25. The one semi-decent team you have played nearly beat you. I watched the VT game and if you played VT 10 times I'd dare to say that you would lose at least 4 of the contests. And what that tells me is that in a good conference you would not go undefeated. Anybody can look good playing New Mexico St and Idaho. When you are counting Nevada as one of your tough games that pretty much says it all.

Duck fan here...let's not forget that as weak as Boise St's schedule may be, it hurts them just as much as helps them. SOS weighs pretty heavily into the BCS standings, so as the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10 (and the rest of the AQ conferences) play out their schedules, it begins to really help those conferences in terms of SOS. On the other hand, SOS (or lack thereof) begins to really hurt the Broncos. Let's also not forget that Boise St. was ranked in the top 5 at the beginning of the season...before anyone played anybody else. Pollsters recognized the quality of their team and rewarded them. They didn't work their way up to the top 5 by beating Fred Johnson State by 300 points, they were given a top spot because they are a top 5 team...period. There are all kinds of tired arguments about strength of schedule, but the bottom line is that they play in an FBS conference. They will continue to be tested (and have already passed some tough tests against VA Tech and Oregon St). And what about the SEC teams padding their schedules with non-FBS schools near the end of the season? What kind of test is that? Alabama plays Georgia State in week 11. Auburn plays Chattanooga in week 10. LSU plays McNeese State in week 7 and Louisiana-Monroe in week 10. Isn't that "padding the schedule" at a time when most other BCS conference teams are playing their conference?? Alabama fans: you have the best team in the country, there's no denying that. But if you don't have the brains to recognize a quality team, then you aren't very intelligent college football fans.

Thought you folks would enjoy the article I wrote over at BleacherReport.com regarding the KSI Index Rating I ran for the remaining undefeated programs.

Boise is ranked 2nd in the table while Ohio State isn't even ranked in the Top-5.

Enjoy

KSI Index Rating

"Boise needs to join a real conference to be respected by the nation...might as well be the SEC, they should have tried to get in on the Big 12"

I dont even know how to respond to something so detached from reality...I mean really....did you just type that??? If I need to explain why the last part of that statement is insane then I know there is no reason to try.

That would be pretty cool ... and fun to watch the Southeastern part of the country try to secede from the union again
roll.gif

Hey, give the guy a break, if he can get Boise and invite to the SEC, lets do it. Now the ball is in his court. Get us our invitation!!!!

It will be interesting for sure to see who comes out #1 in tommorrow's 1st BCS rankings. I think it might be the Broncos, but they won't be there for more than a week or two. As the Bronco's season progresses, their strength of schedule will go down. As other teams seasons progress, their strength of schedule will get stronger. Unless highly ranked teams lose games, Boise State will have a more difficult path to Glendale.
smilie2.gif

Southern Miss fan here. I saw someone mention that the Southeast would secede from the union again if Boise made the NC game. You couldn't be more correct! LOL. I've argued and argued with the ignorance down here, but it is a losing cause. Just please make the NC game and win it. That is the only way to make people shut up. You can't use logical arguments because the enemy won't listen. Here is one person in the Southeast that wishes you the best!

ADVERTISEMENT