ADVERTISEMENT

Big Sky invites Cal Poly & UC Davis to join their conference

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
There is a link (below) to the official Big Sky Conference press release on this. But I SUSPECT that this is a big indication that the W.A.C. is getting ready to invite Montana (at the very least) and Montana State to step-up and become D-1A programs. In Montana's case that means that they would have to add 4 sports (as I understand it). And that would be a VERY expensive proposition for Montana.

I hear that North Texas turned down a SECOND invite to the W.A.C. to remain in the Sun Belt. Not sure how reliable that "rumor" is tho.

Frankly I think if the W.A.C. is going to invite teams from the Big Sky then they would be better off inviting Portland State (huge TV market) and Sacramento State - rather than Montana and Montana State. Portland State would have to add two sports but they are the largest University in the State of Oregon and they have the funds to do that. Sacramento State is a perfect fit for the W.A.C. - they have more than enough sports, and would bring in another big TV market, etc.

Link

How in the heck would Montana State afford the step up to D1?

It's hard enough for me to imagine Montana, but Montana State?

I only mentioned Montana State because everyone seems to assume that IF Montana were invited Montana State would also have to be invited as well. Frankly, despite both of their good football attendance figures, I don't think either one of them would be good choices.

As I said in the previous post I think Portland State and Sacramento State would be MUCH better choices. From a TV market standpoint they are CLEARLY a better choice. Additionally Sacramento State already has more than enough sports programs and I think Portland State would have to add two programs (they just dropped their wrestling program last year ironically enough).

Currently Portland State has only six men's sports. Namely football, basketball, cross country, tennis, Indoor T & F and Outdoor T & F. The W.A.C. has all of those men's sports as well as men's Golf (which Portland State does NOT have now).

As to women's sports P.S.U. currently has nine women's sports. Basketball, Cross Country, Golf (why a women's team but not a men's team??), Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Indoor T & F, Outdoor T & F and Volleyball. The W.A.C. has all of those women's sports as well as women's Swimming & Diving and women's Gymnastics (which only three WAC schools participate in and that will be down to two after BSU leaves the WAC).

San Jose State only has six men's sports - so I don't see why Portland State would have to add another men's sport (and a corresponding women's sport thanks to Title IX). Nevada also has only six men's sports. Also San Jose State has only ten women's sports (a total of 16 sports programs overall) So I think Portland State (currently with 15 sports programs) would really only have to add one women's program.
This post was edited on 9/9 8:11 AM by BroncoSaurus
This post was edited on 9/9 8:14 AM by BroncoSaurus

ADVERTISEMENT