Boise State to Drop Wrestling, Pursue Baseball

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
Boise State to Drop Wrestling, Pursue Baseball

BOISE, Idaho - In order to better align its programs with the Mountain West, and with the intent to add baseball in the future, Boise State announced Tuesday that it will no longer offer wrestling as an intercollegiate sport.

"This was not an easy decision, but one that needed to be made as we consider the long-term vision for Bronco athletics," said Director of Athletics Curt Apsey. "We will continue to honor the scholarships we provide our student-athletes, and will do all we can to help those who want to continue their collegiate wrestling careers elsewhere.

"Additionally, current coaching contracts will be honored."

Here is a statement released Thursday by Boise State President, Bob Kustra regarding the university's decision to drop wrestling:

Statement from President Kustra Regarding the Discontinuation of the Wrestling Program at Boise State

This is a decision that was made for the future that is falling very hard for those in the present. I deeply regret that these wrestlers were caught off guard, and I regret the timing, which was a direct result of having to take time to figure this out and how to do it. Boise State is committed to honoring the scholarships of all wrestling student-athletes, and has offered extensions for the coaching staff so they are better able to determine their next steps.

This decision aligns us more effectively with the Mountain West, how we can best use the athletic program for Boise State and its future enrollment beyond athletics. We did the math, trying to figure ways to be all things to all people, but it was hard to figure out how to build one and maintain the other. From a budgetary and conference standpoint, we couldn’t make it all happen. We have been on a year-to-year contract with the Pac-12, which makes long-term planning and being in control of our future difficult.

I appreciate that wrestlers and their families want to petition, but this isn’t a decision that is revocable. This is the final decision. We have to move forward.

ADVERTISEMENT