ADVERTISEMENT

If you are considering coming to the Ole Miss game next season

mosbys rangers

Feb 5, 2003
Congratulations on your win over Virginia Tech! It was great to watch and I'm sure it was a lot of fun to be there.

If you are considering coming to the game at Ole Miss next season, this is important information. Oxford, Mississippi is a very small and somewhat remote town. It's limited lodging is booked up years in advance on home game weekends. I don't mean to sound inhospitable but you will not be able to get motel rooms in Oxford.

That said, you can get rooms pretty close to Oxford if you act quickly enough. Batesville, Mississippi is just 22 miles west of Oxford and only 20 minutes away. I just checked and the Hampton Inn in Batesville is now accepting reservations and appears to have vacancies.

If you are planning one coming to the game, I strongly suggest you book rooms now, before the disappear. You can always cancel your reservation if you change your mind.

Here is the link to the Hampton Inn:

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=BATMSHX

There are other motels in Batesville, too, however they are not yet accepting on-line reservations for September of 2011. They might accept reservations by phone. If you're interested in a different motel, here are the phone numbers.

Holiday Inn -- (662) 563-1234
Days Inn -- (662) 563-4999
Baymont Inn & Suits -- (662) 563-6592
Quality Inn -- (662) 563-1188
Ramada Limited -- (662) 563-4528
Skyline Motel -- (662) 563-7671

Since I live in Oxford, I have never stayed in any of these motels so I can't say which ones may be better than others. They are all about equi-distant from Oxford and are a close to Ole Miss as you will be able to stay.

I really think you will be better off staying in Batesville (as opposed to Memphis) because you will be able to get back and forth to Oxford a whole lot easier. Even though Oxford is small, it is still a very good college town, with good bars and restaurants. As college football fans, you are probably like me -- when you go on the road, you want to get the full experience of the school you are visiting.

This information is offered in good faith simply to help you make your visit easier and more enjoyable. Maybe sometime down the road you can do the same for me. If you would like further information, please feel free to email me at grayghost@watervalley.net.
This post was edited on 9/7 1:06 PM by mosbys rangers
This post was edited on 9/7 1:07 PM by mosbys rangers

I am not planning on making the trip but I would like to thank you for taking the time so post this information here. The effort is appreciated.

I do have an ulterior motive!

You are welcome. I do have an ulterior motive.

In recent years, I've had the good fortune of making some new friends from visiting fans. Specifically, I now have friends from Wyoming, Missouri and Texas Tech that I would not otherwise have had. What we share in common is the joy and excitement of college football.

Certainly, anyone who travels all the way to Mississippi from Idaho has a terrific passion for the game. I am really fortunate to live in a place that many football fans who have visited have found to be extraordinarily fun. So, that seems to be the winning combination -- passionate fans plus a great venue -- that results in a really good time. And I get to be a part of it. My tailgate group enjoys guests from other schools, too. As long as they are not other SEC schools, that is!

So that's my ulterior motive.

BTW, the motel advice is meant seriously. There are not nearly enough rooms in Oxford to accommodate all the visiting fans. Oxford is tiny and many Ole Miss fans travel hours to the home games. They already have the rooms in Oxford reserved. (There is a three-year wait list at every motel in Oxford on football weekends!)

That's why anyone even just thinking about coming should book a room now. You can always cancel if you decide not to make the trip. Or, you can let another Bronco fan take your room. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

If you check on Google maps, you will see that Batesville is really close to Oxford. It's the next town over and a straight 22-mile shot on a 65 mph highway.

Y'all come!

ADVERTISEMENT