ADVERTISEMENT

Message from Ole Miss

mosbys rangers

Feb 5, 2003
We are very excited to be playing Boise State in 2011! We hope many of you will visit Oxford and enjoy our hospitality.

Wikitravel has a good travel page about Oxford. Here is the link: http://wikitravel.org/en/Oxford_(Mississippi)

As you may know, Ole Miss is somewhat famous for its tailgating in the Grove. I am fortunate to have been to college games at a number of campuses and I think the Grove deserves its reputation as one of the very best tailgating venues in sports. If you come to the game here, it is an absolute must for you to plan to come to the Grove at least several hours prior to kickoff.

Please note, there are some quirks about coming to football games at Ole Miss of which you may not be aware. For instance, Oxford is so small and so isolated, its limited number of motel rooms are booked years in advance. That shouldn't discourage anyone, though, because rooms are available in some nearby towns and, of course, in Memphis, a little over an hour from Oxford. Another quirk involves rules for alcohol in the Grove. I can fill you in on that later.

I will be happy to provide any of you with travel information to help you maximize your fun and minimize your inconvenience. I am not a travel agent and have no agenda. I am simply an Ole Miss fan who lives in Oxford (2 miles from campus) who enjoys football a lot. I belong to a tailgate group that has 50 members. We always invite some fans of visiting (non-SEC) schools to join us. It is just something we enjoy -- getting to share the Grove and our traditions, and perhaps making friends who will do the same for us if Ole Miss ever plays at your school.

I know it is a long way off, but if you are serious about coming to the game at Ole Miss, file away my email address and contact me before you make your travel plans. My email address is grayghost@watervalley.net.

Feel free to contact me now or anytime in the future about planning your trip. If you do email me, mention Boise State in your subject line so I don't delete your message thinking it might be spam.

I encourage you to come and I encourage you to make your plans well in advance. It will be an unusual trip because it's probably not every day you have a reason to visit Mississippi. Hopefully it will also be very special trip that provides lots of fun and good memories.

Please let me know any way I can help. Y'all come, now!

Great! We are really excited about the game. Please be sure to email me at your convenience. There is lots to know in advance that will make your visit even better. Boise State travels to a lot of great venues. Hopefully, Oxford/Ole Miss will be one of the really special ones. Based on what other visiting fans have told our tailgate, it often is.

Good luck in 2010. Now that we're playing you, we'll definitely be rooting for you. Stay in touch!

Thanks for the invite. If it works out, I might be able to make the trip...I have just been hired at BSU's office of the College of Wstern Idaho's Veteran's Upward Bound program as a Math and English teacher/tutor for some veterans here and I do not know if I will be able to break away. It looks promising though because currently we do not have classes from Fridays to Sundays. My folks are from the South, and hospitality was their trademark. And when I was there in the Army I was impressed with everyone's hospitality. I hope you experience it here, should your team make the trip. Boise has a lot to offer, too. Here's to a safe and entertaining 2010 season for everyone!

Thanks, it is a dream come true. I am a veteran myself, so that means I was a non-traditional student when I graduated. My long-time buddy and were able to graduate together. Life just keeps getting better and better.

They sound all nice and friendly right now, but when you start winning the game beware of flying whiskey bottles and curse words. Just a friendly warning. By the wa I love your team and always root for ya'll in the big games

Thakns for the warning. I'll be sure to bring my motorscooter helmet along, It's got a big BSU #1 painted on it.

LOL! The truth is, down here our whiskey is homemade and it's in jugs, not bottles. But I promise, the jugs'll be empty when we throw 'em. :)

I was thinking mason jars, but jugs figure as well!! wish i could make it but our Uncle Sugar has ordered me to Kodiak AK for the next three years! But dang I would love to see a game after a trip through the Grove!!

The truth is I do have Mason jars of two different batches of local stuff in my freezer. (I didn't make them.) I'll probably have some on-hand when the Broncos invade Oxford if somebody wants to sample it (and risk not seeing the game!) LOL!

I am a Virginia fan & have never posted here before. First I want to congratulate you on your win over our arch-rival, Va. Tech. You had a lot of Virginia fans pulling for you. It is nice not to have Va. Tech & National Championship mentioned in the same sentence this early in the season. Secondly, I have been to Oxford at least half a dozen times over the years. (My favorite SEC team.) If you make one road trip next year, do make it to see Ole Miss. Their fans are great, a great game-day setting & lots & lots of beautiful women to feast your eyes on. Walking through the Grove before & after the game is not to be missed. Do bring your A game because those boys from Mississippi always put up a good fight. Good luck with the rest of your season. I hope you win every game.

Yeah, I am also interested to see how Boise does against the 10th best team in the SEC (I am being kind this year). Should be an even match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT