Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
Bhonapha Returns to Broncos as Associate Head Coach

Bonapha_Web.jpg
BOISE, Idaho – Former Boise State assistant Keith Bhonapha will return to the Broncos as associate head coach and running backs coach, head coach Andy Avalos announced Friday.

Bhonapha previously coached running backs at Boise State from 2009-13 before leaving for the University of Washington with former head coach Chris Petersen. He spent the last eight seasons (2014-21) working with the Huskies’ running backs.

“Coach Bhonapha has both the experience and knowledge that comes with building and growing programs, and his work developing running backs speaks for itself,” Avalos said. “I am excited to bring him back to a place that he helped build, and am looking forward to him assisting us in taking this program to the next level.”

In addition to spending his last 13 seasons working with running backs, Bhonapha served as recruiting coordinator for the Broncos from 2011-13 and for the Huskies from 2014-19. He also served as the University of Washington’s special teams coordinator in 2021.

“During my last eight seasons at UW I watched Boise State from afar,” Bhonapha said. “I started my career at Boise State and it holds a special place in my heart. I’m juiced to return to one of the greatest cities in the country to help Coach Avalos and the staff continue to build upon a foundation that Bronco Nation can be proud of.”

While at Boise State, Bhonapha mentored five-consecutive 1,000-yards rushers, including Jay Ajayi in 2013 (1,425 yards), D.J. Harper in 2012 (1,137), Doug Martin in 2010 (1,260) and 2011 (1,299) and Jeremy Avery in 2009 (1,151).

Ajayi, a fifth-round selection of the Miami Dolphins in the 2015 National Football League Draft, would go on to win Super Bowl LII with the Philadelphia Eagles. Martin was a first-round selection of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012. Both Ajayi (2016) and Martin (2012 and 2015) were named to the Pro Bowl, and Martin added first-team All-Pro honors in 2015.

While at UW, Bhonapha mentored Myles Gaskin, who completed his Husky career as the most prolific rusher and scorer in school history. Gaskin concluded his career as just the 10th student-athlete in Football Bowl Subdivision history – and the first in the Pac-12 – to rush for 1,000 yards in four-straight seasons. He was also just the second player to eclipse 1,200 yards rushing in four-straight years, joining College Football Hall of Famer Ron Dayne.

Following the departure of Gaskin to the NFL as a seventh-round selection of the Miami Dolphins, Bhonapha coached Salvon Ahmed, who made it five-straight seasons for the Huskies with a 1,000-yard rusher (1,020).

Running backs have surpassed 1,000 yards rushing in 10 of Bhonapha’s 13 seasons mentoring the position.

He also saw immense success as a recruiting coordinator, helping both the Broncos and Huskies to some of their highest-ranked recruiting classes in school history.

Prior to serving as the Broncos’ running backs coach, Bhonapha also spent the 2006-08 seasons as the director of football operations.

A four-year letterman at Hawai'i, Bhonapha began his coaching career at his alma mater in 2003, working with defensive backs and special teams.

He earned a bachelor's degree in liberal studies (with a focus on criminology) in 2003, and a master's in public administration in 2005, both at Hawai’i.

Bhonapha and his wife Julia have four children - Isaiah, Emery, Odin and Ellison.

--broncosports.com--

ADVERTISEMENT