ADVERTISEMENT

BOISE STATE TOPS AMONG G5 SCHOOLS IN DIRECTORS’ CUP STANDINGS

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – For the seconded-straight year Boise State checked in as the top Group of 5 school in the final standings of the Learfield IMG College Division I Directors’ Cup.

The Broncos finished 59th nationally with a total of 416.75 points. Since the inception of the College Football Playoff in 2014, Boise State has been one of three schools to finish in the top 10 among G5 institutions every year. The other two are fellow Mountain West members Air Force and New Mexico. A Mountain West member has been tops among G5 schools each year during the span.

In the fall, both the men’s and women’s cross country teams logged top-10 finishes at the 2018 NCAA Division I Cross Country Championships, marking the first time in program history that both teams ended the season in the top 10. The women finished sixth for the second-straight season, while the men finished tied for 10th. Boise State’s football team contributed to the Broncos’ overall score with a final ranking of 24th in the coaches’ poll.

In the winter, women’s basketball advanced to the NCAA First Round by winning its third-straight Mountain West Tournament championship. Gymnastics captured its fifth-straight Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference championship and finished fourth at the regional final. It marked the fourth-consecutive top-16 national finish. Women’s indoor track & field also tied for 35th nationally.

Spring saw the Broncos’ softball team reach the regional final in Gainesville, Fla. In women’s outdoor track & field, Boise State placed 20th in the country on the strength of Allie Ostrander becoming the first woman in NCAA Division I history to win three-consecutive national titles in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

The Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup was developed as a joint effort between NACDA and USA Today.

Schools count up to 19 sports, four of which must be baseball, men’s basketball, women’s basketball and women’s volleyball. The next highest 15 (max.) sports scored for each institution, regardless of gender, are used in the standings.

ADVERTISEMENT