ADVERTISEMENT

Hutchison to Enter Name in NBA Draft

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
BOISE, Idaho- Boise State junior guard Chandler Hutchison intends to enter his name in the 2017 NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. By not hiring representation, Hutchison remains eligible to return to Boise State for his senior season.

“Our coaches have informed me that NBA teams are expressing interest, and I feel that I need to take advantage of the opportunity to be evaluated and find out where I truly stand,” Hutchison said. “Playing in the NBA is the goal that drives me every day and this process is the next step toward making it a reality.”

By declaring for the draft, Hutchison can be invited to workouts with NBA teams beginning April 25. He may work out for each of the 30 NBA teams once per year. Hutchison also becomes a candidate to earn an invitation to the NBA Draft Combine May 9-14, in Chicago. The deadline to withdraw from the NBA Draft while maintaining NCAA eligibility is May 24.

A 6-foot-7, 193-pound guard, Hutchison averaged 17.4 points and 7.8 rebounds last season. He shot 49.5 percent from the field and 37.7 percent from three-point range while adding 2.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game. The Mission Viejo, Calif., native scored in double figures in 29 of Boise State's 32 games last season and became the first Bronco in program history to record 500 points, 250 rebounds and 75 assists in the same season. He was recognized as All-Mountain West First Team, USBWA All-District VIII and NABC All-District 17.

Below is an excerpt from the NCAA's Jan. 13, 2016 release regarding the rule change...

Link to Full Release

In an effort to both provide students the chance to make more fully informed decisions and prepare themselves for a potential professional basketball career, the Division I Council adopted a proposal that, among other provisions, changes the date by which a student must remove his name from the NBA draft.

Starting this year, a men’s basketball student-athlete must remove his name from the NBA draft list 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA draft combine. This past year, the combine was held May 13-17.

Also, students can enter the NBA draft multiple times without jeopardizing eligibility and may participate in the combine and one tryout per NBA team, per year.

The NBA will invite a select number of draft-eligible players to the combine, which will provide a good indicator of an underclassman’s draft potential. Following the combine, the NBA will provide specific feedback. Students can also work out for one NBA team to provide additional assessments.

A student invited to the combine will be allowed to work out with his college coaches from the time he receives his invitation until he withdraws from the draft. Workouts will be kept to the in-season limit of four hours a day for up to 20 hours per week.

Usually in late April and May, men’s basketball student-athletes are limited to eight hours per week of skill instruction, conditioning and film review, not to exceed two hours of skill instruction. Practice is prohibited surrounding final exams.

Courtesy Michael Walsh
BroncoSports.com

ADVERTISEMENT