ADVERTISEMENT

Taggart: "Dehydration possible factor in FSU loss"

UCFBS

Oct 21, 2001
US-AL-BHM/Montevallo
linkedin.com
I love it when P5s lose and the excuse engines start ...

"Taggart: Dehydration possible factor in FSU loss"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27528045

FSU didn't just brag about having recruiting advantages over Boise pre-game. No, FSU not only claimed the Florida heat'n humidity would also be an advantage over Boise, but getting the game moved up to noon in muggy Florida, plus in their home stadium, was the bonus.

But for some reason, now that they lost, FSU is acting like Boise State players had some built-in, uniform-automated A/C, and didn't play in the same conditions. Really? REALLY?!

Maybe, just maybe Boise had superior preparation? And that coaches like Taggart, and his staff, failed in conditioning and training? No, that's exactly it, period! One of these days P5s will stop making excuses to explain away losses to better coached and conditioned teams.

And that's all assuming, of course, Boise players weren't possibly better than the 'Power' team athletes while we're at it as well! Sigh ...

Reactions: Stanley Brewster
ya ... lol.
I think anyone watching that game could see that Boise State was better conditioned. And that probably did have a lot to do with Boise State taking control in the second half but I also think you're right that the Boise State players were every bit as talented as the Seminole players minus a little bit of speed in a couple positions. Florida State scored all of their points off of quick strike long scores due to that speed but once the Broncos adjusted to compensate for the big plays Florida State's inability to convert 3rd downs or sustain a drive caught up with them.

ya ... lol.
I think anyone watching that game could see that Boise State was better conditioned. And that probably did have a lot to do with Boise State taking control in the second half but I also think you're right that the Boise State players were every bit as talented as the Seminole players minus a little bit of speed in a couple positions. Florida State scored all of their points off of quick strike long scores due to that speed but once the Broncos adjusted to compensate for the big plays Florida State's inability to convert 3rd downs or sustain a drive caught up with them.
I mean ... like ... being UCF season ticket holders (and going to the games since '89, back in Division II), we're used to the excuse used by non-Florida or non-southeastern US teams about heat and humidity. People also forget the issues Taggart and his conditioning staff had in Oregon with conditioning.

But now being the head coach at a Florida team and using it as an excuse? "Not only did we not condition our players proper, but a team that normally doesn't play in this level of humidity and heat as often as we do literally wax'd us in the second half! We literally cannot train, condition and coach! They can."

Well, unfortunately for FSU fans, Taggart Ball is going to take $17M to separate themselves from. And right now FSUAA, Inc. just formed, the 3rd in the state (after UAA, Inc. at Florida, and UCFAA, Inc.), and transferred in the $6M shortfall. FSU now has 5K less season ticket holders than UCF, even with reduced booster and ticket fees.

Thank you, from the bottom of our Knights' hearts, for kicking FSU's butt. It's a free-for-all over there right now. ;)
There are a few UCF fans out there complaining this could mean Boise gets the G5 NY Bowl bid, but frankly, I'm fine with that. I just want a G5 to go undefeated every year, and I'm fine with it being both of us, even if we (UCF) don't get the G5 NY Bowl bid ... it puts pressure on the alleged P5.

In the same regard, a lot of the sports media is trying to get Boise and UCF fans to bite on various 'versus,' and it's rather pathetic. I've seen a few of our fans bite and a few Boise fans bite. No UCF fan thinks UCF has the history of Boise this century, and our success has only shown up, and rather inconsistently, this decade.

We've just been the latest to 'shake up' the establishment with more G5s showing up to play at the highest levels. Even Houston had beaten the last AP Top 5 teams it had faced until Sunday night, and Cincy, at home, could easily beat UCF this year, while losing at Memphis (who has only lost 3 home games the last 6 years IIRC, beating all ranked teams at home, sans UCF last year), at Houston. Same with several MWC teams.

That is very disappointing to see a head coach make that excuse. If the opposing team coming from another part of the country had made those comments, I might give some credence to it given how oppressively muggy and hot Florida can be. FSU faces this daily, and for the coach to voice this especially after a loss, is lame. From what I saw, the Broncos were the better team and absolutely dominated time of possession. Take away the turnovers and those big plays by FSU, and you’re looking at a convincing Boise St victory. Statistically, it was a beat down. In my mind, Taggart’s seat just got a few degrees hotter.

Reactions: UCFBS
Statistically, it was a beat down. In my mind, Taggart’s seat just got a few degrees hotter.
It would cost FSU $17M to get rid of Taggart. FSUAA, Inc. was just formed, because FSU is short $6M this past summer. He ain't going anywhere.

Heck, FSU has 5K less season ticket holders than UCF, and is actually charging less money for them than UCF too.

FSU fan here. Thrilled that the old staff is gone and optimistic for the new coaching staff.
Any news/ thoughts about what time of day the game will be this year in Boise?

FSU fan here. Thrilled that the old staff is gone and optimistic for the new coaching staff.
Any news/ thoughts about what time of day the game will be this year in Boise?

how old are you?

how do you not already know the answer to this?

Won't the switch to Fox Sports mean more early kickoffs? Thought I saw that somewhere.
I don’t know, but I hate giving Fox any more of my money. The entire country is sick and Fox News is still cheering for Donald Chump.

I’m Blue til I die, in Boise and in the ballot box!!

#goblue

Won't the switch to Fox Sports mean more early kickoffs? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Biggest difference is it will eliminate the really late ones. If I remember right I believe FOX said they would not have any kick offs after 7:00 pm which would eliminate the 8:00 pm kick offs ESPN liked. Hopefully a few more day games but I'll believe it when I see it LOL

Reactions: Cards1968
Biggest difference is it will eliminate the really late ones. If I remember right I believe FOX said they would not have any kick offs after 7:00 pm which would eliminate the 8:00 pm kick offs ESPN liked. Hopefully a few more day games but I'll believe it when I see it LOL
Those will undoubtedly be in Sept/Oct when it's still hot as hell.
smokin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT