ADVERTISEMENT

TALON from Southern

Some background on GSU
GSC started in FCS in 1984 under Erk Russell, From 1985,running the flex option, he played for 4 National championships winning 3 and was in every playoff game from 1985 - 1999 winning the 1999 NC went a 15-0 record & retired with & winning 82% of his games.
GSU had many vert good Flex option coaches.

Paul Jonson also running the Flex Option was at GSU from 1997, won 86% of his games, was in the playoffs all 5 years, played for 3 National Championships winning 2.

GSU now runs the Shotgun option brought in by Head Coach Fritz. THe 2 years he was at GSU he did very well in our first 2 years of FBS pay and won a bowl. After Fritz left we went through 3 head coaches in 2 years.

Our current head coach also runs the Shotgun option with average success. I'd rather return to the Flex option. Under the Flex GSU was use to 380 rushing YPG and 100 Passing yards a game scoring between 38-45 points a game.

If our Shotgun option does not improve by 150% I fear for a long season.

On a positive note when GSU became a university money came poring in and the campus was completely rebuilt

When GSU joined FBS the stadium was enlarged from 18,000 to 27,000 seats and a 56,000Sq.Ft football sports center was added to the west end zone. A children's football field was addedin front of the field house so they could play instead of bothering their parents for 3 hours

Georgia_Southern_Eagles_Paulson_Stadium_1024x1024.jpg

Paulson-Stadium-Playing-Field-for-the-Fans-400x284.jpg

Paulson-Stadium-Ted-Smith-Family-Football-Stadium.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanley Brewster
Back when we ran the Flex Option our Full Backs ran free. AP never ran under 100 YPG. Against UGA he had 150 & against OSU he had 200+ yards. You can see I'm a disgruntled fan for moving to the Shotgun Option!

Last edited:
Looks like The True Blue had a more the great season last year with the exception of BYU and your bowl game. (12-2)
Rushing 167 YPG
Passing 262 YPG
Total 429 offensive yardage average.

Please tell me about BYU.

Looks like The True Blue had a more the great season last year with the exception of BYU and your bowl game. (12-2)
Rushing 167 YPG
Passing 262 YPG
Total 429 offensive yardage average.
Please tell me about BYU.

On Defense GSU has run the 3-4 for the last 2 years

GSUs 2019 Offensive Stats
(7-6 - lost bowl game)
Passing
12 attempts per game @ 52% completion rate
75 YPG
Rushing
253 ypg @ 4.9 yards per carry
Total Offense 327 ypg
28 Points Per Game

GSU actually did better in 2018 with a 10-3 record and 31 ppg winning it bowl game

Last edited:
Some background on GSU
GSC started in FCS in 1984 under Erk Russell, From 1985,running the flex option, he played for 4 National championships winning 3 and was in every playoff game from 1985 - 1999 winning the 1999 NC went a 15-0 record & retired with & winning 82% of his games.
GSU had many vert good Flex option coaches.

Paul Jonson also running the Flex Option was at GSU from 1997, won 86% of his games, was in the playoffs all 5 years, played for 3 National Championships winning 2.

GSU now runs the Shotgun option brought in by Head Coach Fritz. THe 2 years he was at GSU he did very well in our first 2 years of FBS pay and won a bowl. After Fritz left we went through 3 head coaches in 2 years.

Our current head coach also runs the Shotgun option with average success. I'd rather return to the Flex option. Under the Flex GSU was use to 380 rushing YPG and 100 Passing yards a game scoring between 38-45 points a game.

If our Shotgun option does not improve by 150% I fear for a long season.

On a positive note when GSU became a university money came poring in and the campus was completely rebuilt

When GSU joined FBS the stadium was enlarged from 18,000 to 27,000 seats and a 56,000Sq.Ft football sports center was added to the west end zone. A children's football field was addedin front of the field house so they could play instead of bothering their parents for 3 hours

Georgia_Southern_Eagles_Paulson_Stadium_1024x1024.jpg

Paulson-Stadium-Playing-Field-for-the-Fans-400x284.jpg

Paulson-Stadium-Ted-Smith-Family-Football-Stadium.jpg

This is the Shotgun Option GSU team that you do not want to see in 2020, The below 6min highlite videos are fro 2014 & 15 under HC fritz using FCS players. THe coaches that came after FRITZ were not able to duplicate the same results using the Shotgun Option to this point. (ITS CALLED EXICUTION)

This will give you an idea how the Shotgun option look1

2014 GSU vs GT

2014 GSU vs UNC

2015 GSU vs UGA overtime

Tell all the women in Boise that ride broncos that Ga. Southern is coming! Forget ridding a horse ride an EAGLE!:cool:

Last edited:
2017 - "But you played for a different championship. Why don't you acknowledge that?"

I have no problem admitting that FCS teams are a 2nd tear division 1 football programs. FCS teams have 63 scholarships vs 85 FBS scholarships. .FBS had their pick of better athletes for the most part. We did play for 8 FCS National Championships winning 6. In FCS we had to play against the top 16 FCS teams in the nation, 4 wins, to get to and win the FCS National Championship which gave us a 15 game season.

I Understand that Southern has moved to FBS now and must build all over again all over again to make its mark in the G5 conferences., and so it is.

ADVERTISEMENT