ADVERTISEMENT

Venable Steps Down from Football Staff

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
BOISE, Idaho – Boise State running backs coach and player development director Winston Venable is stepping down from his position to pursue other opportunities, head coach Andy Avalos announced Thursday.

“Winston is one of the greatest players to suit up for Boise State, and has done a tremendous job of mentoring not only our running backs, but every young man that has chosen to play for the Broncos over the last several years,” Avalos said. “Although he is leaving his current role, he will always be part of this brotherhood and I know he will find a way to continue to impact our student-athletes.”

Venable completed his second season as running backs coach in 2021, and had served as the Broncos’ player development director from 2018-19 and in 2021.

Venable starred at linebacker at Boise State during the 2009-10 seasons. In his debut campaign with the Broncos, his interception in the final minute sealed a 17-10 victory over TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.

“I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to come back and impact a program that helped shape who I am today,” Venable said. “The lessons I learned from being a Bronco – as a coach, staff member and student-athlete – will be with me for the rest of my life.

“This program is in great hands with Coach Avalos, and I am excited to see the Broncos continue to win championships and compete amongst the elite teams in college football.”

A two-time All-Western Athletic Conference selection, Venable signed a free agent contract with the Chicago Bears following his Boise State career. He played in the Canadian Football League with the Montreal Alouettes from 2012-16, where he was named a CFL All-Star in 2015.

Venable was named to Boise State’s All-Blue Team, a celebration of the greatest players to hit The Blue during its first 30 years. Following his professional playing career, he returned to Boise State and earned his bachelor’s degree in communication in 2017.

--broncosports.com--

Reactions: tester000one
ADVERTISEMENT