ADVERTISEMENT

2011 Targets and Ioane

ALLDAYYY

Sep 17, 2009
Who is Boise targeting for this class? How many players are they looking to take in this class.

Also I assume Ioane is RS, how has he looked this year?

SO FAR - this is who Boise State has received Verbal Commitments from, for the 2011 recruiting class (and 2010 Greyshirts):

2011 BOISE STATE RECRUITING CLASS

Greyshirts from 2010 Recruiting Class:
WR Troy Ware, 6-2, 164, Vista (CA.) HS
DE Tyler Horn, 6-4, 225, Mountain View HS (Idaho)
TE Holden Huff, 6-6, 195, Rocklin (CA.) HS

2011 New Commits
QB Jimmy Laughrea, 6-2, 185, Rocklin (CA.) HS
DE Sam Ukwuachu, 6-5, 203, Pearland (Texas) HS
WR Dallas Burroughs, 5-8, 165, Rocky Mountain HS (Idaho)
DT Jeff Worthy, 6-4, 280, Whittier Christian HS (CA.)
DL Robert Ash, 6-3, 255, Cosumnes Oaks HS (CA.)
S Taylor Loffler, 6-3, 195, Kelowna (B.C. CANADA) Secondary
OL Rees Odhiambo, 6-3, 298, Mansfield (Texas) Legacy HS
RB Jay Ajayi, 6-0, 200, Liberty HS (Frisco, Texas)
LB Blake Renaud, 6-2, 230, De La Salle HS (CA.)
OG Marcus Henry, 6-3, 275, Bellevue (WA.) HS
CB Eric Agbaroji, 6-1, 180, Midlothian (Texas) HS
S Corey Bell, 5-11, 200, Capital (Idaho) HS

Additionally Boise State has 18 Scholarship Seniors on this year's team. One of whom MAY be redshirting - namely Punter Brad Elkin (He has not played in any of the four games this year).

Also, I would assume that Boise State will Greyshirt at least two and possibly three of the new 2011 recruits (Burroughs and Bell since they are local kids and maybe someone else). So, if we assume that Elkin is, in fact, being redshirted this season that means there will be 17 scholarship Seniors leaving the program after this season is over. Meaning 17 scholarships are available for next season (again - assuming Elkin is being redshirted this season) and the above list already has 15 players in it to date. Assume three of them will be greyshirted and that leaves five more prospects who MAY be brought in for next season.

My GUESS - judging by the current roster, etc. - is Boise State is looking (at this point) to bring in one more running back, one more wide receiver, one more offensive lineman, one more defensive tackle and a place kicker.

P.S. As to Ioane, he is being redshirted this season, so it would be impossible to say how he is doing unless one were on the team or one of the coaches.
This post was edited on 10/7 8:39 AM by BroncoSaurus

When will you guys start bringing in 4 star recruits? Not a knock but usually when a team wins like you do, no matter where it is, it brings in talent. Not that you guys need it because you seem to do just fine with what you have (which I still don't understand) but it would be cool to see what you could do with some 4 star talent. Again, not a knock, just a question.

First off - and I mean this sincerely - ANYONE who actually "believes" in the ridiculousness that is the "star" ranking systems is a FOOL.

Secondly, I think Boise State seems to be doing JUST FINE.......with the guys that they get into the program every year. I'll take THEM over all of your "four star" recruits.

P.S. Boise State HAS gotten four star prospects in the past. Some have worked out - MOST HAVE NOT. The most recent four star HIGH SCHOOL recruit that Boise State signed was John Michael Davis, a LB out of California. He was a part of the 2009 Boise State recruiting class and he was a True Freshman last season at Boise State. But he is no longer on the Boise State team roster for this season.

P.P.S. Current four star recruits who ARE on the Boise State roster are Tyrone Crawford, a J.C. defensive end (rated 4 stars by Rivals), and Kellen Moore, the Heisman contending QB out of WA. who is NOW ranked as a 4 star prospect (but WAS NOT ranked that high when he signed with BSU).

I think we will see a few moore 4 star recruits this year after all is said and done.

I think next year will be even better. I also think that if the Mt West can get a provisonal AQ status it will help a lot too.

One would think there would be reports of how Ioane did at fall camp/practice.

And no specifics on who they are targeting?

I think more highly ranked prospects will beging checking out BSU, as they have become a household name these days with serious national exposure.

I do not see MWC getting AQ status with the defections of Utah and BYU. I think Miller and Ioane will be ridiculous at Boise, very excited to see both their careers play out.

There is some legititmacy to the ranking system. Obviously its not all perfect, we have had many 2 stars turn into great NFL players, but if you look at the powerhouses and their recruiting classes, you start to understand why they are powerhouses. Don't act like 3-4 4 stars won't help your program. Your telling me you wouldn't want Lache Seastrunk, a 5* RB out of Texas. Again, I'm not saying your program will suck if you don't get them, because you have obviously showed you can win with your 2-3 stars, but don't act like it wouldn't help.

No doubt 4 and 5 star players would help, as long as they still fit the criteria that the Boise State coaches are looking for, mainly an unselfish team players first. And unfortunately the better a player is the harder it is for them to buy into Boise's team concepts.

Boise fans here have seen this coaching staff pass up 4 star athletes for a three star athlete just because the coaches felt the 3 star athlete fit better into the program.

Not to get too ahead of ourselves but looking ahead to next year. WR's make me nervous, losing Titus and Pettis is going to be huge.

Who will be the guy to step up? Burroughs? That other white guy (blanking on his name)? How's Troy Ware been? I hope it's Matt Miller but he will be young, with no game experience.

Linked is a story about Ioane. Its not much information, but its more attention than most freshman get so I consider that a positive sign.

The other white guy - Tyler Shoemaker - will be back next year and will start in the slot. We have the twin towers - aaron burks and geraldo hiwat - coming in to replace TY and Pettis. They're both a little raw but - hiwat especially - sound like they have real star potential. Burroughs will probably be in the mix and may even start but that depends on the young guys.

And we don't worry about stars. The whole conversation is kinda funny actually. Don't ask what's wrong with BSU's recruits, look at ND and Clemson, and then ask what's wrong with 4-5 star guys.

ioane

Don't forget Matt Miller who would have played this year as a true Freshman if he hadn't gotten hurt in Fall camp.

Coach Pete said it best. There are only a handful (10-15) elite guys coming out of high school who stand above the rest. Then there is a large group who are pretty much the same and it all comes down to doing you home work and recruiting which guy fits into your scheme the best. Obviously after that they need to be coached up and everyone knows BSU is the best at doing that. The star rating process on both Scout and Rivals is a popularity contest. The team that has the most fans get the most stars because these websites are a business and keeping fans happy is good business.

ADVERTISEMENT