ADVERTISEMENT

A husker fan coming in peace.

letsrecruit

Dec 3, 2004
Hey guys first off I just wanted to say you had a great season and it sucks it ended the way it did for you. CFB really needs a playoff imho. Now I'm not asking this to start anything at all, I just happened to be looking on florida's message board and saw Petersens (sp?) name all over their board. I can't read it of course but thought it was an iteresting topic. You guys seem to be a very level headed fan base so i thought a discussion about it would be ok. I think CP has a great thing going in Boise and it would be very hard for him to leave, on the flip side I think his offensive prowness could be amazing at school with the athletes that Florida has.(Not that you don't have great ones as well) Just wondering what you all think. I saw the hurricane board thought he was a canidate as well but i know he wouldn't make that move, he has it way better where he is now. Thoughts?
This post was edited on 12/10 8:16 PM by letsrecruit

Hey, thanks. That's the fun of being in a non-AQ conference. Anything less than a perfect season gets you a lower-tier bowl at best. Apparently you can be a 4-loss team and still go to a major BCS bowl just as long as you're a part of the club.
dead.gif
You are right, we really need a playoff at the Division 1 level.

As for Coach Pete, his name comes up every single year for whatever major coaching gig is open at the time. We've heard it many times that he was confirmed to be leaving and it was a done deal, only for it to not be true. He does have a good thing here and he knows it, both personally and professionally. That's not to say that someday, someone's not going to come along and throw enough money and enough reasons at him that will make him want to take another job, though. Maybe it's Florida, maybe it's not. I kind of have my doubts that's the gig that would pull him away, knowing he's more of a West Coast guy and didn't like coaching on the East Coast. I know he appreciates the low-key lifestyle he has here and being able to spend time with his family (I've heard he can walk over and have lunch with his kids at their school), not to mention the doctors he has here for his kids and the general quality of life. That Florida job is a pressure cooker with a lot of scrutiny from the press and administration and a ton of boosters interfering with the coach's business. I'm sure Coach Pete is more than aware that his quality of life and time with his family would go out the window in that job (witness why Meyer is stepping away from the job, after all). I'm sure they'll throw a ton of money at whoever they're really trying to get, though. Maybe it will be enough to lure him away, maybe it won't. No sense getting worked up about it at this point when it's all just rumor and conjecture. Just my two cents, anyway.

Great points! While I agree with you that it is possible that a team could potentially woo him away with money, I just dont see that happening with florida. All those reasons you state are very valid imo and shouldn't be overlooked. So many people think the one thing on a coaches mind is his salary. Which for many of them (kiffin) I'm sure it is. People don't think a coach could just be happy where he is with what he has, they always think if some big name school comes a knockin that all coaches will be walkin and it's just not true. Personally I would hate for CP to leave you guys because I feel and I could be wrong, that he was always the brains behind the whole thing when hawks was there. Plus I just love the what he brings to CFB as far as "BCS busters" go. I don't get why so many bash you guys and don't want to see you succeed. Ya, maybe your schedule isn't the toughest buy anyone with half a brain can watch you on tv and see you have great talent and are very, very well coached.
The other thing that amazes me is even though his name is all over floridas message board, yours hardly even acknowledges it. I envy that way more than you could ever know. The Husker board is the most whiny, chicken little, sky is falling site out there imo... and I still love it. Ever since the Big Texas championship game last saturday its been in complete meltdown mode, it went from fire half the staff, including Bo, to Bo is leaving for miami and everyone crying for him to stay. It can be quite embarrassing at times really. Anyway good luck with your bowl game and in the future.

Our fans go through this EVERY year, and not just since Petersen became head coach. It was the same with Hawk and with Koetter before him. Lots of false stories, erroneous news reports, fans dropping by assuming they've already hired our coach etc. Its just part of being a fan of a successful mid-major.

So we're used to it. That, and Pete is known as a straight shooter who has made it clear he is happy in Boise. That doesn't mean he won't eventually leave (and he has never actually said that he won't), but it does bring some peace of mind to the fans.

ADVERTISEMENT