ADVERTISEMENT

A Tour of the Boise State Spring Game with Aladrew (pics)

aladrew

Jan 17, 2009
Thought you guys may be interested...

Originally posted by aladrew:
All in all it went well. There was a solid crowd of around 16,000 on hand which is pretty good for Boise State. Last year was something like 8,000 - 10,000 IIRC. They played offense against defense with a made up scoring method as they didn't have enough depth for two squads (lotta injuries apparently). Kellen Moore didn't play much, I don't remember him playing after the first quarter. Doug Martin looked OK, but I expected a little more from him. As far as the groups went, either the D-Line looked tremendous(6 sacks) or the O-Line is awful. I believe they're trying to replace both OTs. Both of the backup QBs were running around for their lives for most of the afternoon. Even so, when the QBs were able to throw it down field, the secondary was pretty bad. I believe one receiver had around 100 yards. Not much scoring to speak of. Two field goals and a QB scramble TD to end the game.

Defense beat the offense 21-14.

Defense got Teriyaki and showers, offense got no food and had to go home to shower.

The highlight of the day for me was the 80 yard punt. Yes, 80 yards. The punter did one of those rollout punts from the 30 and the ball landed outside the back of the endzone.... ON THE FLY! Everyone was quite impressed.

Anyway, here's a picture of the outside of the stadium per request. The murals are all graduated seniors I believe. I know the middle guy is Titus Young. Can't remember the other two.

This is looking into the stadium from the south(?) endzone. The building directly in front is the home/visitors locker room and the S&C building IIRC.

This is from the west(?) and shows a nice shot of the side of the newish skyboxes.

Taco Bell Arena where Boise State plays Basketball, Gymnastics, and I think Wrestling now. It also holds concerts and has hosted the first two rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament. I know UAB played there in 2004, which is possibly the last year they hosted. Not sure.

Here's the entrance to the newish indoor practice facility. Its literally 50 feet from the stadium.

Here's the inside of the practice facility. They were having some kind of little league football sign ups/try outs.

Another shot back towards the entrance.

The bronco statue outside of the stadium. The building to the right is Boise State's football hall of fame I guess you'd call it. Also inside the stadium is the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame. Never have gone in there. Will have to one day.

The South end zone. The building in the middle is the locker rooms/S&C building. During the season there are some temporary bleachers in the gap that hold probably 1500-3000 people. Right now its set up for Track & Field. You can kind of see the pole vault set up near the far corner of the end zone.

Had some pretty good seats for the spring game. If only I could get them for the season!

Here's the other end zone(North?). During the season there are more temporary bleachers set up that hold 1000-2000 extra people. That's where I sat for the 2010 Humanitarian Bowl.

Coach Petersen talking it over with the officials.

Kellen Moore (in red) running a drill.

Doug "Muscle Hamster" Martin (22) covering punts for some reason.

The horse that runs around during games and also leads the team out of the tunnel pre-game.

The offensive roster.

The defensive roster. Apparently "N" now stands for Nickelback. Don't know why they don't just put "DB." Also at the bottom you'll notice the method for scoring. I'm assuming "Quarterback" means sack.

Doug Martin is probably one of the best three backs in the country.

Yes, DL is very good. One returning OT and he is an NFL prospect (Potter). RT and RG will both be fairly inexperienced however. Overall things have been a little unsettled on the OL for a couple years - lots of minor and major injuries, and just a lot of guys stepping in to start for a few games and then getting replaced. Also a lot of guys switching positions, including some DL guys switching over. There is also two walkons who figure prominently in the 2-deep. I'm hoping that ends this year.
Most fans don't consider the secondary to be a weakness, but we've been known to tolerate non-homerist opinions. FYI the SS is a RFr, and while he should be a future star (he's a big hitter), there is a senior and junior who are both competing for the spot who were injured.

ADVERTISEMENT