BOISE STATE WOMEN'S SOCCER: Broncos Fall to Cougars

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
Broncos Fall to Cougars

PROVO, Utah - The 2019 Boise State women’s soccer season came to an end in the first round of the NCAA Women’s Soccer Championship, Friday night as the Broncos fell 5-1 at BYU.

The Cougars were the fourth-ranked team in the nation coming into the tournament and the No. 2 seed in the bracket. The Broncos were able to grab a goal in the 22nd minute thanks to a header by senior Emily Curry. She finishes the season with three goals and three assists, a career high in both categories.

Head coach Jim Thomas was incredibly proud of his team after the performance. “They are the most amazing group of women that I've ever been around, and it's been a pleasure to work with them. I thought they held themselves, with great aplomb today. They competed and they represented Boise State incredibly well. They overcame a lot of nerves. First time for all of us doing this together and they competed, and they gave their best shot.”

Boise State's goal came after a clearance by McKenna Kynett to Morgan Stone on the flank. Stone then sent a cross that found Curry in the center of the 18-yard box. A well-placed header sent the ball into the upper left corner of the net.

“I just saw Morgan [Stone],” said Curry. “We're talking about getting the ball wide, and looking for the crosses into the box. I saw Morgan had it pretty wide open out there and we know where each other is going to cross the ball when we have it so I got in the box, no one was really covering me and I tried to get my head on it.”

The Broncos' defense kept it close in the first half, allowing just two goals despite six BYU shots on goal in the first half. Boise State goalkeeper Sydney Smith matched her career-best nine saves in the match, however, an overwhelming number of shots meant the Cougars netted five goals on the day.

The Broncos close a historic season which saw them rewrite much of the Boise State record book. They set program bests for wins at 18 and shutouts at 13. The Blue and Orange scored 46 goals on the year, while allowing just 17, making it the most productive offense in Bronco history while tying for the fewest goals allowed in a season.

“This isn't a coach run program, we do things differently in Boise,” said Thomas. “They choose the color on the walls, the style of the uniform. The way we play and the way we respond. It’s something that we're all sharing together. They built that culture. They're very proud of the grades they get in school, the community representation, and that togetherness in the locker room. The wins, the progress, all of that is from these players and hopefully this is something that they can grasp and carry on into their future lives as they move on and apply it to love, life, or any work situations. They built this place, and it was a proud thing for me to see it all come to fruition.”

Boise State made its first NCAA appearance in the Jim Thomas era and its second in program history.

"I've loved my experience at Boise State, I love my teammates to death and this one's going to be a hard one to move on from, not being a Bronco anymore, once a Bronco always a Bronco," said senior Raimee Sherle.

--BroncoSports.com--

ADVERTISEMENT