ADVERTISEMENT

Football Spring Ball

MikeWittmann

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2014
Illinois
Listening to interviews with the coaching, it sounds like some players have been stepping up this spring.

Tyler Horton, Cedric Wilson and Jabril Frazier have been singled out this week. All 3 would go a long way to filling some holes left by departing seniors, as well as just things that were lacking last season.

DL still seems to be an area of concern, or at least one to keep watching. Caldwell was giving the group high praise, which doesn't come lightly from him, but depth still seems like a huge issue this spring. I'm not worried about STUD, as Perez/Frazier will make a nice combo and Hill should be able to contribute (I still wouldn't mind if he moved to traditional DE but I trust the coaches here). Other DE spot seems ok too, as long as McCaskill doesn't have to move back inside I see him providing the same kind of solid play Horn and Beau Martin have the past 2 years. Sam Whitney behind him is unproven but probably will be a true FR there anyway.

Inside is where is gets really murky. Sounds like Hoyte is locking down the NT position, with Caldwell saying both he and McCaskill are providing good senior leadership to the group. Caldwell also said Moa is looking good at DT while Locher is still learning to play inside. Moa is unproven and maybe be ok as a #2 guy there. It really hurts not having JUCO Auelua for spring ball. It would go a long way for him to come in and emerge as a solid starter. While I still wouldn't rule out another JUCO guy coming in to offset loss of Boles, it has always seemed inevitable to have 1-2 true freshmen come in and play next fall. Fesili is the NT, but Hatada could be a good fit at the 3-technique.

I was interested they (I believe it was Harsin) said depth at safety was going well. While he wasn't directly asked about Tyler and Wright, I don't recall him bringing them up. I remember saying DSG, James, Hartsfield and Miles are getting an opportunity to play both positions, so maybe that means they are hoping one can emerge in that FS role vacated by Thompson.

What are some other people's thoughts and anyone hearing anything else about the team?

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News