Webb Inks Deal with 76ers

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
Webb Inks Deal with 76ers

PHILADELPHIA, Pa.— Former Boise State forward James Webb III signed a contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, the organization officially announced Friday. Webb was not selected in the 2016 NBA Draft but played in two games for the 76ers in the Utah Jazz Summer League last week and is part of the team’s roster for the upcoming Las Vegas Summer League.
vpypgpahfcdtrfcbraie

Details of Webb’s contract were not made available, per team policy. According to his agent, Charles Briscoe, the deal is a partially-guaranteed two-year pact with the second year being a team option. NBA teams can carry up to 20 players on their roster through training camp before cutting it to 15 for the regular season.

“It’s great,” Webb said of signing his first professional contract. “It’s a relief to get a contract after going through the draft process and not hearing my name called. Philadelphia gave me the best offer and they made me feel like they believe in me and what I’m capable of.”

Webb is guaranteed to make an undisclosed amount of money no matter how many days he remains on the roster. He can begin receiving weekly compensation during training camp. For each day Webb remains under contract in the regular season he will start earning the league minimum salary, which equates to $543,471 over the course of the roughly 170-day season. If he remains on the roster after Jan. 10, he will be guaranteed the full salary for the season.

In his first taste of professional basketball, Webb averaged 20 minutes, 9.5 points and six rebounds across two games at the Utah Summer League, before sitting the third game as a scheduled day off. The former Bronco tied for sixth in rebounding at the four-team event.

“It was great to put on the jersey and get out there again,” said Webb. “They gave me an opportunity and the coaches told me to go out there and have fun with it. I was nervous at first, but I settled in a bit and feel like I belong.”

Webb and the 76ers will play three games in Las Vegas, taking on the Los Angeles Lakers Saturday (6:30 p.m. MT; ESPN2), the Chicago Bulls Sunday (6:30 p.m. MT; ESPN2) and the Golden State Warriors Tuesday (6:30 p.m. MT; NBATV). All games will be played at the Thomas and Mack Center.

“I just need to make sure I keep doing the things that got me here,” said Webb. “Knocking down shots; taking what the defense gives me. Doing what I did at Boise State.”

~broncosports.com

Once Summer League wraps up, Webb will have roughly a week off before reporting to Philadelphia for summer workouts in preparation for training camp which begins at the end of September. NBA rosters will be cut to 15 by the end of October. Preseason games run from Oct. 4-21, before the regular season officially starts Oct. 25.

“During Summer League I really want to have fun and enjoy this moment,” Webb said. “It’s an opportunity to showcase where I’m at now, but after the games it’s time to put in more work and keep getting better.”

When rosters are reduced to 15, teams have the opportunity to designate up to four waived players to their NBA Developmental League affiliates, provided the player signs the D-League offer. Players can elect not to sign on as a team’s affiliate player and look for an NBA roster spot with a different team, a contract in another professional league, or enter the D-League draft pool. If a player does sign the D-League contract he still remains an NBA free agent and is available for any of the 30 NBA teams to sign. The only way for an NBA team to assign a player to the D-League and retain his rights without him becoming a free agent is to keep the player on the 15-man roster, thus paying them the full value of his contract.

~broncosports.com

ADVERTISEMENT