ADVERTISEMENT

When the sun went dark for 18 months

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
I had never heard anything about this until a few days ago but scientists have confirmed that the sun was blocked out here on Earth for a period of 18 full months back in the 500's (roughly 1500 years ago). This led to world wide crop failures which led to starvation, etc. And according to the article at the link below HALF of the people on earth died during this period. Stop to think about that for a minute....................One out of every two people on Earth DIED in that 18 month period.

The effects of this lasted for roughly 15 years (if I recall correctly from the article below). They suggest that it was a volcano eruption that is responsible for this (much more likely that it was a SUPER-Volcano eruption IMO - like the Super Volcano in Yellowstone Park that has erupted at least 3 times in the distant past). However experts in volcanic eruptions have documented when and where these Super Volcanic eruptions have taken place in the past (up to 50 million years ago) and there is no record of either a Super Volcano or any other type of volcanic eruption that took place anywhere near 1,500 years ago. The last Super Volcano eruption was 26,500 years ago (Lake Taupo in New Zealand).

So basically they really have no idea what caused the sun to be blocked out for eighteen months back in the 500's.

I found this fascinating so I thought I'd share it here.

This post was edited on 8/7 9:01 AM by BroncoSaurus

LINK

It is interesting. I was taught in school that it was probably a volcanic eruption of Krakatoa (the first time) that caused a volcanic winter for 2 years but this guy seems to think it was a different volcano combined with a perfect storm.

Either way if it had been a super volcano there probably would be some other dominant form of life on this planet as humans would most likely have joined the dinosaurs. That's why there would be no place to hide if a super volcano ever erupted.

This post was edited on 8/28 9:27 AM by bsyou

Scientist says volcanic eruption behind ‘perfect s

ADVERTISEMENT