ADVERTISEMENT

Status Quo... Thoughts on how Boise State has impacted College football?

ASerre

Rivals Staff Member
Staff
Jan 29, 2013
Boise Idaho
It is hard to put into words what has happened to this once small university tucked away in the city of trees (Boise, Id) known as Boise State. Really? Who in the landscape of college sports was really telling themselves this twelve years ago? "Better watch out, because in the next few short years, Boise State just will not be the new kid on the block in Division 1 collegiate sports anymore, They will be a powerhouse in certain arenas."(Craig James voice).
Imagine how many university's out there who have had esteemed tradition for hundreds of years, and never seen the likes of a championship winning season as well as many other accolades. Some may argue different avenues such as conference affiliation and strength of schedule have factored into Boise State's fairly recent rise to success, but is it fair to make the assumption that this once tiny school has had a bigger impact on the sport of college football then most would give credit for. What has changed in college football since Boise State came on the scene in 1997?

1. Access to big money bowls... Utah did it first in 2004 by beating a down Pitt team which paved the way for the likes of the match-up that took the world by storm on Jan 1, 2007 in Glendale, Arizona. Boise States win versus Oklahoma, I believe paved the way for all Non AQ schools in college football, and gave some hope for a chance to play in the big dance. The nation scoffed at the notion of seeing the NIU "Maction in Action"against Florida State in the Orange bowl this past year, but the one thing that made this year more significant than years past was the first time a Non AQ was selected to a major bowl with a regular season loss. I believe if it had not been for Boise State's recent success and brand build in these last four years and being in the constant conversation as a BCS buster. NIU never had a chance getting to the Orange Bowl with one loss!

Competition throughout the landscape!!
Face it, teams are getting better, recruiting extremely well, competing on the field at a high competitive rate then ever before. College football fans have got to get past the fact that there are the us's and the thems. The Alabama's and the NIU 's... The MW and the SEC. If you believe in Coach Pete's mentality of "any given Saturday", you will see over the last few years that ALOT of teams you would have never expected to win, are indeed winning. Take it from an FCS Div II standpoint - Appalachian States's win over Michigan was probably one of the biggest upsets in college footballs recent history. Even if you look at the Nevada - Cal match-up or even the close win Pitt nearly inched out over Notre Dame the past season, you have to wonder if all this talk from other schools about Boise State's model are starting to catch on around the country. Even Arizona as of late has been thought to be using some of Boise's ideals.Guess only more time will tell...

Conference realignment...
Ugh.. Where do I even start with this one without digging myself into a hole. As Boise State fans dream of an invitation to a bigger conference someday, there are still a lot of obstacles in the way of that happening anytime soon. It almost seems that when the final pieces fall into place, Boise State will be fortunate if they land anywhere near a major conference. Some would argue that as of late Commissioner Larry Scott of the PAC 12 has been quoted saying that "The PAC 12 is keeping Boise State and SDSU in the mirror", but the PAC 12 is content on staying where it is". Wouldn't that be heaven? Could you imagine if we, Boise State were in the PAC 12? As fans we drool and dream over that, and there is still a lot to be determined in the giant mess we call "conference realignment". Some would even argue that Boise State is last on the priority list of every conference for a number of reasons that are untold. In the end, who really knows the answer? The landscape, teams, and conferences love Boise State coaches but for some reason, but we are just not enticing enough yet to take a chance on. This does not mean that Boise State doesn't have value, it rather just seems as if other conferences are scared to take a good risk!
Here is one thing I do know though - there is no doubt that Boise State has had a positive impact in college football and other sports in recent years, and it has been nothing short of incredible to watch. Tell us your thoughts. We would love to hear ways you think Boise State has had an impact in the college sports!

Article written by Andrew Serre
#Twitter @ASerre or Facebook Andrew Peter Serre

Edited by Mike Singer
#Twitter @Mike_btn

Nice article and there is a lot to respond to... But ultimately I guess BSU has done some to change the landscape.... But the money and TV suits will continue to botch the whole principle of collegiate athletics.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thanks GCBRONCO.... After reports today on the Big East TV deal, I'm just glad we decided to stay put. Staying in the Mountain West alone in just our championship game, revenues up to $1.5 million will be at stake. Don't know if that's a true final but that's almost alone what a Big East TV deal would pay total including championship game. All I could do was shake my head!!
Thanks

I would love to hear everybody's thoughts.

Andrew
Gonna try to write a weekly Article.

Have you talked to Mr. Brewster?

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8977673

Nice article and I truly don't mean to be critical - BUT - when you write this:

"1. Access to big money bowls... Utah did it first"

It's poor form to not have a # 2.......# 3............# 4, etc. Maybe I missed it but I didn't even see a # 2 here. Just trying to offer some constructive criticism.

As to Stanley.........I asked this in response to your message on the Open Forum - but once again what exactly is it that is ailing him (if it's okay to ask) and is he in a hospital for this? St. Luke's ? St. Als?

This post was edited on 2/24 12:39 PM by BroncoSaurus

Thanks for the criticism BroncoSaurus, it will only make me better! Appreciate that..

As for Stanley... He suffered a mild Heart attack Wed. Night. He is recovering and doing well. Resting as much as possible.

Again Thanks and will polish up the writing skills. Think the point I was trying to make on the article was made, based on wording. Think we all know Utah was the #1st BCS buster ... But was lackluster compared to our Performance!

ADVERTISEMENT