ADVERTISEMENT

Boise State to STAY in the MWC - according to

and also confirmed by a press release on BroncoSports.com........which.......among other things........specifically mentioned that Boise State can now wear WHATEVER color uniforms that they want to wear at home - including Blue on Blue.

Link

The only real question now is whether San Diego State will follow suit and stay in the MWC as well. Or will they continue on with their present plans to join the sinking ship that is the Big East (or Conference USA part two).

This also makes me wonder what the Conference football schedule is going to look like for next season. We already know that Boise State has four NON-conference football games scheduled for next fall - AT Washington in a replay of the MAACO Las Vegas bowl at Seattle, WA., home in Boise vs. Tennessee-Martin and home in Boise vs. Southern Mississippi and AT Brigham Young University in Provo, UT.

But with Utah State and San Jose State joining the MWC for next season and the possible rejoining of San Diego State it does have to make one wonder. At most Boise State could only play 12 games next season (as they played AT Hawaii this season and IF they play Hawaii next season it will be here in Boise). So that means a maximum of eight Conference football games next fall. And yet there will be at LEAST 10 other teams in the MWC next season (possibly 11 if San Diego State stays in the MWC).

IF San Diego State does stay in the MWC then the MWC very well could set up two six team divisions and have a conference championship game next season. Divisions like this I would imagine:

MOUNTAIN DIVISION
AIR FORCE
BOISE STATE
COLORADO STATE
NEVADA
UTAH STATE
WYOMING

WEST DIVISION
FRESNO STATE
HAWAII
NEW MEXICO
SAN DIEGO STATE
SAN JOSE STATE
UNLV

OR........would the MWC perhaps prefer to put the six remaining original MWC schools in one division

AIR FORCE
COLORADO STATE
NEW MEXICO
SAN DIEGO STATE
U.N.L.V.
WYOMING

With the latest former W.A.C. schools in the other division:

BOISE STATE
HAWAII
FRESNO STATE
NEVADA
SAN JOSE STATE
UTAH STATE

The Big factor was the MWC letting Boise State keep the rights (and money) to their home games so they now can take ESPN up on their offer to televise all of the Broncos games.

Now they just need to bring in some quality non-conference opponents

You apparently have seen something that I haven't bsyou..........as it's my understanding that there is no such deal to let Boise State do that. Boise State TRIED to get both conferences to agree to that and neither one did. That was MY understanding. If you've seen something that says otherwise I'd truly love to see it.

This is the portion of the relevant agreement that I saw:

"The league will guarantee the rights to Boise State home football games
that are sold as a separate package. The revenue from such Boise State
home football games shall be retained by the Mountain West and added to
the Mountain West media revenues to be disbursed in the same manner as
all other league media revenues."

This post was edited on 12/31 4:56 PM by BroncoSaurus

I'm pretty bummed. I'm reading like you do Saurus.... We have to share any tv monies with the conference
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Under the new MWC TV money distribution agreement all teams in the MWC get paid more money when their home games are aired on TV.

So when all of Boise State's home games are aired they will be looking at around 2M more in TV revenue for the season than the other MWC teams.

and yet Boise State has to pay the Big East FIVE Million dollars for an exit fee (that was SUPPOSED to be 10 million). I know the reports are saying that the MWC is going to "help" Boise State pay that five million dollars to the Big East but I'm thinking that "help" might be a LOAN that Boise State can pay back over a set number of years to the MWC, i.e., one million per year for five years.

ADVERTISEMENT