ADVERTISEMENT

Finley to Transfer * Old Message

StubbsZanelli

Jun 30, 2014
Per a release from Boise State University, QB Ryan Finley will transfer in May after he graduates from BSU. "We wish Ryan the best" head coach Bryan Harsin said. "He is going to leave Boise State with a degree and that is what this is all about"

No surprise but not good for Boise State at QB.

Also, wonder who has the better season next year, Finley or Ogle?

Finley to Graduate, Transfer

BOISE, Idaho – Following his expected graduation in May, Boise State quarterback Ryan Finley plans to transfer to another school.

“We wish Ryan the best,” head coach Bryan Harsin said. “He is going to leave Boise State with a degree, and that is what this is all about.”

Finley will remain on campus as he completes his final coursework.

--broncosports.com--

Finley wasn't a good qb considering he was in the program for 3 years. I will be one fan who will not miss Finley's beach ball tosses to his wr's. Go back and watch the byu game if u think you'll miss finley.

Appreciate the work the kid put in, hope he lands on his feet and gets a chance to compete someplace else.

No one will miss Finley's talent (or lack of in many areas), but he will be missed as a body for insurance reasons. I would trust Finley throwing check-downs all night more than Stuart trying to scramble away or not being able to see over OL.

Regardless, don't have that option so not gonna dwell on it. In an ideal world, Rypien won't get hurt. So Boise State has a capable pocket passer who has gained vital experience, taken a step forward in his development (according to coaches), has gained a tall potentially play-making receiver (Wilson) to pair with sure-handed Sperbeck, and hopefully an improved OL that won't serve free passes for the defense to get after Rypien. Stuart can come in as a change of pace, try to pick up some yards on 2nd and short, in the goal line or other run related plays. I think it would be great to have Stuart come in and have diverse run options in an I-formation where they could have Tommy run it, go up the middle with McNichols or Alec lining up at FB (with CG going nuts), or run option stuff with Tommy and someone like Demas or Cory Young.

In the meantime, have Constantine be assigned to never leave the shadow of Hill and Rypien in practice to develop him and recruit the heck out of a 2017 QB where he has the chance to be a 3-year starter if he competes.

I think Finely would have been a great back up, but I'm sure it became clear to him it wasn't a competition.... The OL needs to get its sh-t straight

Exactly, this year he would've been a good back up to have. But like Ogle, if you want to be a starter somewhere else, respect that decision.

OL has a lot to prove this year.

Finley was the BEST option the Broncos had for backup next season. So from that standpoint they will not be a s strong as they would have been had Finley stayed. Hopefully they will not need a backup for anything other than late game mop-up duty.

Tommy gun will replace rypien as the starter by mid season and all glory will be restored to the juco's.... book it!

No betting on blue turf board ;)

Do not underestimate t gun.... kid is a flat out gamer...

2 words for you stan...kellen moore..o_O

T. Gun = national championship.

Couldn't agree more. Has running skill but there were times we couldn't outrun linebackers to make major gains. Like I said above, I would put him in with 2 other runners in the backfield and let them guess, that would probably be where he could be most effective.

Height wise he's the same height as kellen.

National championship as in juco national championship.

I think people are generally inclined to root for the underdog which t gun is. Plus he was lightly recruited in high school then led butte to the championship, he's the classic boise type of recruit / story.

Boise State fans definitely love their underdog players. Find it interesting some fans want to believe he deserves a shot over Rypien though.

I can't honestly figure out the love for Finley, it's clear the offense had more mojo when T Gun was running the show, he is better than Finley and that was proven when he moved up the depth chart in the spring. I couldn't take another year of Finley as a backup or starter and he was a mental liability (see BYU meltdown in 2015).

I don't think there was much love for Finley the player after the BYU meltdown, but more for Finley as a body who is rumored to play the position of quarterback.

Worst case scenario Rypien gets hurt and let's assume Stuart is #2 QB. With Finley being behind Stuart, TFF can still be himself when he steps on the field because Finley is there and coaches know what he can do. Even if Finley can barely be a game manager, they at least know he knows the playbook, has experience and can complete a check-down. While he lacks the ideal skills necessary to excel as a starting college QB, he at least has some important aspects of a back QB.

With Finley gone and worst case scenario again, Rypien gets hurt and Stuart comes in. Now there is no one behind Stuart except a true freshmen who has no experience and probably not very extensive knowledge of the playbook. Stuarts best skill is his legs. He can does well with short and intermediate throws when he can roll out and has time to throw but I think we can agree he is at his best when opposing teams don't know if he is going to run or pass on a given play. My point is if the only option behind Stuart is a true freshmen, I would imagine coaches staff would want to keep Tommy on the field and staying healthy and would not call for as many designed runs, which would limit his ability to make an impact.

Obviously this is a hypothetical situation that may never happen but when your backup QB is a dual-threat, it would make sense to have another semi-capable QB who could come in behind him who coaches know can do something. Right now the situation is very unknown after Stuart.

This may come as a shock to some, but stuart was a pocket Passer while at butte, though he definately can run. His game is perfect for play action, play action boot and power run game.

I'm excited to see what any of the QBs do with drink gone!! I hated his play calling, especially later in games. Ryp is clearly the man, but I'm cool with Stuart as the BU

I'm aware, but I still think his best skill is his running ability. And I agree his skills are great for play action with some boot/roll out stuff where we can make some short to intermediate throws.

Yep that's t gun's style, just needs reps and the right play calling for his style. He can throw the deep ball, just not as good as rypien.

Yeah he has the arm strength, but to me he loses accuracy. But really accurate on mid-range throws, especially on the run

How can a backup be overhyped? Must be a finley fan.
Tommy has a ton of fans in Bronco Nation for obvious reasons. He's undersized, lightly recruited...very much the underdog role fans love. But I've heard through the grapevine that he's just not very good.

Far too much is attributed to his "JC national championship", which really wasn't a real national championship. It was more like a California conference title. Does not take into account the JC juggernauts in Texas, Kansas, etc. Plus, this is a team award. Adam Morrison has more NBA titles than LeBron James. But who is the better player?

Tommy is a wildcat QB, and that's exactly how the staff uses him. There is a reason the staff went right passed him in rank when Finley went down. His skill set is limited.

Don't get me wrong, not saying he's awful. Just that fans get carried away with they believe he is capable of.

Reactions: celdorado
ADVERTISEMENT