ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins wins his CFL debut 38-33

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
Dan Hawkins, the former Boise State and Colorado head coach, won his debut game in the Canadian Football League last night with a thrilling 38-33 win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

I looked at their depth chart for that game and two former Boise State players were both listed as starters at their respective positions for that game last night. Namely the starting LG Andrew Woodruff and the starting FS Winston Venable. During their two pre-season games Winston Venable was listed on their depth charts as the 2nd string FS behind M. Edem. Now Venable is listed as the # 1 guy and Edem is the # 3 guy at FS.

This post was edited on 6/28 9:51 AM by BroncoSaurus

link

Congrats Hawk!!!

Where can you watch Canadian Football on the tube these days?

I think it was the NBC sports channel but not sure... I watched a bit, Its weird... they took a safety instead of punting... guess I need to read up on Canadian Football

I switched (back) to DirecTV a little over a month ago and it was on one of their channels but I couldn't tell ya which one it was.

If you missed Montreal's game last Thursday you missed a doozie. Montreal was ahead by 13 points in the 4th quarter but Edmonton rallied and scored two TD's within about 1 1/2 minutes (one on a punt return) and took the lead 27-26 with about 11 minutes left in the game.

Montreal then made two impressive drives (and stopped Edmonton's offense) and kicked two field goals to take the lead 32-27. Edmonton had only 1 minute left on the clock when they started their final drive of the game and needed a TD to win the game. They started their final drive on their 35 yd line (which is like being on the 25 yd line since the Canadian game is played on a field that is 110 yds long). Edmonton got it down to the 1 yd line with time running out (with no timeouts) but could not win it as they tried to run it in on their last offensive play but Montreal's defense dropped Edmonton's running back for a 2 yd loss to win the game as time ran out.

Dan Hawkin's team is currently in 2nd place in their division, after 5 games, with a 2-3 record. They are currently 1/2 game behind the Toronto Argonauts (who are 2-2). Montreal has a bye this week.

Bad news is both of the former Boise State players on Montreal's roster are on the 9 game disabled list. Namely Mike Atkinson and Winston Venable. Woodruff has missed the last three games and Venable has missed the last four games.

BTW - last Thursday's game was televised on ESPNU

This post was edited on 7/31 5:55 AM by BroncoSaurus

Good stuff Suarus, thanks for keeping us posted. I've been in the middle of a move since July 1st... So done with this crap!!

I hope Bacon finally gets to really get a whole season to play ball... But I just can't believe it would ever happen
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I watched this last game.

Thought it was interesting that the announcers crucified Hawkins when he went for a 4th and 2 deep in his own end of the field late 3rd quarter with a lead (classic hawk) and didn't get it. The turnover on downs resulted in an easy field goal for the other team.

I must have missed that part.................but knowing who Hawkins is it doesn't surprise me that he would do something (stupid) like that. He's a gambler - no doubt about it.

Yeah...................just saw that too...............must have been that play you referred to I guess. Or maybe the fact that they had lost 3 in a row before BARELY beating Edmonton last week.

ADVERTISEMENT