ADVERTISEMENT

Kaniho Named Football Finalist for Senior CLASS Award

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
BOISE, Idaho – Boise State senior defensive back Kekaula Kaniho was named a football finalist for the 2020-21 Senior CLASS Award, Friday.

Kaniho is one of 10 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision student-athletes, and the only one from the Mountain West, among the finalists in collegiate football.

To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I FBS senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition.

An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.

The finalists were chose by a selection committee from the list of 30 candidates announced earlier in the season. Nationwide fan voting begins immediately to help select the winner, and fans are encouraged to vote on the Senior CLASS Award website: seniorCLASSaward.com through Monday, Dec. 21. Fan votes will be combined with media and Division I head coaches’ votes to determine the winner. The Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the football bowl season in late December.

Earlier this season, Kaniho was named a semifinalist the Lott IMPACT Trophy, one of 12 members of the National Football Foundation 2020 Scholar-Athlete Class and a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, which earned him a postgraduate scholarship worth $18,000. He has also been named one of 30 candidates for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award.

On the field, Kaniho has started each of the Broncos’ five games in 2020. He has 23 tackles (17 solo) on the year, including 2.0 for-loss, and a team-high four pass break-ups. His 0.80 passes defended per game ranks tied for sixth in the MW. He also returned a blocked field goal 91 yards for a touchdown against Colorado State (Nov. 12).

ADVERTISEMENT