Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
Lexus Williams Returns as Assistant to the Head Coach

BOISE, Idaho -
Former Boise State men’s basketball standout Lexus Williams has joined the Broncos’ staff as the assistant to the head coach, a newly-created position, head coach Leon Rice announced Wednesday. Williams will work with men’s basketball student-athletes to mentor them in their journey through college and beyond, including academic guidance, career development and personal brand building. He will also serve as the liaison between Rice and department staff.

“Having coached Lexus as a player, I always felt like he had a natural ability to lead,” Rice said. “He will be a terrific mentor for the young men who come through our program. This was a much-needed position and Lexus’ leadership qualities and work ethic will be a great addition to not only our program, but our entire athletic department. I want to thank Jeramiah (Dickey) and our administration for sharing that vision and making this possible.”

“I look forward to being back in the community and being around people who invested in me,” Williams said. “I’m forever indebted to coach Rice and the rest of this staff. He’s been trying to get me back since I left and I can’t wait to get started. There are a lot of new faces at Boise State, but the energy and momentum of this department is something I want to be a part of and help move forward. Whatever is needed, I will help get it done.”

Williams played one season for the Broncos as a graduate transfer from Valparaiso. He started all 32 games in 2017-18, earning honorable mention All-Mountain West accolades and helping the Broncos to a berth in the National Invitation Tournament.

The Chicago native was drafted by the Texas Legends in the second round of the NBA G League Draft, beginning an 18-month stint in the professional ranks before the COVID-19 pandemic. Williams spent the last 18 months working as an accountant for real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle. Finding his way back to a career in basketball was always the goal, a realization that helped him arrive at Boise State the first time.

“I’m excited to embark on this journey right back where it really started,” Williams said. “I originally came to Boise State to get a master’s degree that could help propel me into a career in athletic administration. It’s not something I did just to check a box. Boise State’s master’s of athletic leadership program prepared me for this. To be using that graduate degree to advance the university that I earned it from is special.”

Williams’ tenure as a Bronco student-athlete left a lasting impression – no memory more indelible than his game-winning halfcourt shot at Oregon – because of his ability to connect with everyone who touched the program, on and off the court. In his new role, Williams will continue to lean on and hone his leadership abilities as a bridge builder for all facets of the program.

Williams will focus on connecting the student-athletes, the coaching staff and athletic administration. In his mentorship capacity, Williams will assist men’s basketball student-athletes with transitioning to college; nurturing a mindset that maximizes their potential on and off the court; and preparing them for life after sports through prioritizing academics and pursuing passions.

ADVERTISEMENT