ADVERTISEMENT

RB Allen Becomes the Latest in a Flurry of Commits

MikeWittmann

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2014
Illinois
Kazmeir Allen was one of the earlier offers in this class, with his coming back in February. After announcing his decision late last night, he now becomes the latest in a wave of June commits for the Broncos.

The 3 star running back out of Tulare, California told Blue Turf just yesterday that the Boise State commits were all after him to commit and now he joins their ranks. However, perhaps a pivotal moment in his recruiting was back in April, when he visited Boise State and met with the coaches.

“Boise State was a great experience! As soon as I walked in, everyone knew my name, came to greet me and it felt like a family already. The people around campus were so nice and I don’t know if I saw a piece of trash while I was on campus.”

He echoed those statements again today when discussing why he committed, again citing the family feel and the community. “Boise just felt like home. The coaches, the people, the town, it was all good. It’s always been in the back of my head to commit there and after talking with some of the other recruits, I decided to pull the trigger.” He also added that as of now, he plans to sign in December.

Allen said he also appreciated the honesty of the coaches when speaking with him and felt like he wanted to be part of what they were offering him. “Coach Marks, the RB coach, made me feel like family. Then I talked with Coach Harsin for like an hour (during his unofficial visit). He said they needed a weapon on the team and if I wanted to be that guy, I could impact the program!”

It looks like Kazmeir will indeed be a weapon, especially if his commitment picture is any indication. “The Weapon” was the name they gave the hybrid RB/WR position when Jeremy McNichols came in as a true freshman, which later became the star player’s nickname. Allen said he will play for the Broncos and if his high school accolades are any indication, he should excel.

“Yes, I’m coming in as more of an all-purpose back. They refer to it as a weapon and the coaches said they want to use me similar to how they used Jeremy McNichols. “

Kazmeir has been a stand-out athlete both on the football field as well as the track. At 5”10 and 175 lbs, he produced 1842 rushing yards, 582 receiving yards and added 599 return yards for good measure. He also just finished his track season where his twitter bio says he ran a 10.48 in the 100m. All that info to say: Allen is a fast and explosive player.

On film, Allen appears to be at his best using a quick one-cut move and the blows by the defenders in the open field. His exceptional straight-line speed is plain to see, although he may need to put on some weight in order to handle the college game. He’s dangerous with the ball in his hands and he was used in a variety of ways: traditional RB between the tackles, going off tackle, swing-passes and screen, and the return game.

After completing a number of visits this spring, Allen told Blue Turf it was basically down to Boise State and Arizona (he also had offered from SJSU, SDSU, Fresno State, Nevada, Utah State, and Colorado State, among others). The Broncos won out and yesterday he became the 5th member of the Boise State 2018 recruiting class. If this week has been any indication, the current commits and coaching staff will be doing all they can to add to their number soon. Allen is happy to help out as a recruiter now. “They want us to get as many people as we can in the class of 2018!”

I would agree. They should be deep at RB, but he is a different type of player who can be used in a lot of ways. Honestly don't know if they've ever had a real "all purpose back" before. McNichols somewhat and SWR but he seems different than both of them.

Even with the RB group possibly being deep in he can also make an impact quickly on special teams being a returner. He had just under 600 yards in return yards last year.

I know. That's what I'm saying, he's very different than what they've had before, I'm sure they will find a niche for him to get on the field right away.

ADVERTISEMENT