ADVERTISEMENT

Shults Welcomes Six Signees to Boise State Softball

Stanley Brewster

Blue-Turf Admin
Staff
Nov 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
www.blue-turf.com
BOISE, Idaho – The Boise State softball program added six talented student-athletes to its roster Wednesday, head coach Justin Shults announced.

The newest Broncos include left-handed pitcher Abby Dowell, shortstop Keely Goushá, outfielder Sophia Knight, catcher Leah McAnally, outfielder Sophia Romero, and second baseman Skylar Stroh.

"We are thrilled about this recruiting class. We were able to secure a little bit of everything: pitching, power, speed. If you name it, this class has it," Shults said. "Most importantly these recruits 'Bleed Blue', and fit our family culture. Our future is extremely bright in Boise."

Abby Dowell (LHP, Iowa Park, Texas, Iowa Park HS)
Dowell, posted a 24-2 record as junior with 193 strikeouts and a 1.00 ERA. The 5-4A MVP, 4A First-Team All-Stater batted .492 with 47 RBI and a .540 on-base percentage in 2022.

Coach Shults Dowell: "Abby is a bulldog in the circle. Her stoic demeanor and competitiveness will be huge assets to our team. She is extremely crafty, a student of the game, and can get hitters out in a variety of ways. We can't wait to see her wearing the Blue and Orange."

Dowell on Boise State: "I chose Boise because of the amazing atmosphere, the people, and the coaches. It just felt like home straight from the beginning."

Keely Goushá (SS, San Diego, Calif., Rancho Bernardo HS)
Goushá comes to Boise from the Athletics Mercado organization. A staple at the top of the lineup and shortstop position, she led her team in stolen bases against top competition in the country.

Coach Shults on Goushá: "Keely will be a great addition. She has one speed and that is fast. She will be able to put pressure on defenses, and is a sure-handed defender up the middle. Her energy will be a great addition to our team."

Goushá on Boise State: "I instantly fell in love with the culture and the campus. I love the quality and the values of this program, and I cannot wait to be a part of the Bronco legacy."

Sophia Knight (OF, Huntington Beach, Calif., Huntington Beach HS)
Knight posted a .439 batting average with 27 RBI and a .475 on-base percentage for the 2022 season. She also ranks fifth in career triples and seventh in career stolen bases for Huntington Beach HS.

Coach Shults on Knight: "Sophia is a fun athlete to watch. She plays the game at an extremely fast pace, and brings a special dynamic to our team. I'm excited to watch her roam the outfield as a Bronco."

Knight on Boise State: "I chose Boise for the reason that it's a big town with a small-town feel. Not only do I love the coaches, but I fell in love with the city, its people, and the cleanliness of it all."

Leah McAnally (C, Edmond, Okla., Edmond Memorial HS)
McAnally is a four-year starter and two-time state champion. The first team all-state, all-region, and all-conference catcher holds the Edmond Memorial HS career home run record with 32, batting .509 with 44 RBI and a .540 on-base percentage as a junior in 2021.

Coach Shults on McAnally: "Leah is a strong and confident athlete; we expect her to have an immediate impact at the plate. She has caught for high level programs her whole life and knows what it takes to be a leader on the field."

McAnally on Boise State: "I knew it was an environment in which I could compete and thrive at the highest level. I know the coaching staff will push me to be the best player I can be. I fell in love with the team's mentality and work-ethic, and I knew that Bronco Nation was my home away from home. I am extremely blessed, and I am definitely excited for this ride."

Sophia Romero (OF, Murrieta, Calif., Vista Murrieta HS)
Romero owns a career .491 batting average with 20 RBI and a .517 on-base percentage. Long-time member of the storied Batbusters travel ball organization, she has competed and excelled at a high level for many years.

Coach Shults on Romero: "We are so excited Sophia chose to be a Bronco. She is an exceptionally dynamic athlete, who hits with power from the left side. I can't wait to see how fast her game goes to the next level."

Romero on Boise State: "I chose Boise because of the community and the culture. I felt at home right when I stepped on campus and I knew it was meant to be for the next four years. I can't wait to get to work and compete for Boise."

Skylar Stroh (2B, Brentwood, Calif., Heritage HS)
Stroh is a two-time BVAL Champion, NCS Champion, and NorCal Qualifier. She holds a career batting average of .441 with seven home runs and 38 RBI.

Coach Shults on Stroh: "Skylar plays the game with a chip on her shoulder and truly embraces our blue-collar mentality. I'm excited to see where she ends up on the field because her athleticism allows her to play a lot of positions."

Stroh on Boise State: "I chose Boise because it has both the city life and country life, and as soon as I stepped on campus and met the team and coaches I felt right at home."

-- BroncoSports.com --

ADVERTISEMENT