ADVERTISEMENT

The 2014 Boise State offensive line

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
Based on who is on the team right now or will be joining the team in the fall.

2014 BOISE STATE OFFENSIVE LINE

TACKLES
OT - 67 Rees Odhiambo, 6-4, 309, RS-JR. - Played in 6 of 13 games in 2012
OT - 70 Steven Baggett, 6-3, 275, RS SO.
OT - __ Eli McCulloch, 6-5, 265, RS Fr.
OT - 79 Avery Westendorf, 6-5, 291, RS SO. - (Walk-on)

GUARDS
OG - 72 Marcus Henry, 6-3, 296, RS-JR. - Played in 11 of 13 games in 2012
OG - 58 Robert Ash, 6-3, 280, RS-JR. - Played in 1 of 13 games in 2012
OG - 73 Travis Averill, 6-3, 292, RS-SO.
OG - 66 Mario Yakoo, 6-3, 320, RS SO.
OG - 74 Archie Lewis, 6-3, 272, RS Fr.
OG - 71 Greg Dohmen, 6-3, 280, RS-SR. - (Walk-on) - Played in 1 of 13 games in 2012
OG - 68 Tim Curry, 6-2, 297, RS Fr. (Walk-on)

CENTERS
C -__ Andrew Tercek, 6-0, 275, RS Fr.
C - 71 Greg Dohmen, 6-3, 280, RS-SR. - (Walk-on) - Played in 1 of 13 games in 2012
C - 60 Kellen Buhr, 6-2, 284, RS SO. - (Walk-on)
C -__ Mason Hampton, 6-2, 280, RS Fr. (Walk-on)

I think the outlook at the Offensive Tackle spots, as it sits right now, for the 2014 season, can only be described as being in DIRE NEED. Having a TOTAL of only FOUR offensive tackles on the entire team - one of whom is only 6' 3" tall and was an OG in H.S. - and one of whom is currently a walk-on - definitely fits the definition of being in DIRE NEED as far as I'm concerned. They should have, at the very LEAST, a minimum of SIX scholarship offensive tackles on the team - EVERY year..............MINIMUM. Right now they have only THREE scholarship offensive tackles for the 2014 season.

The situation at the Center position isn't much better with only ONE scholarship Center currently on the roster and that player won't even be on the team until August.

Boise State has REALLY been hurt by the departure of Adam Sheffield - 6' 5" 300 lbs OT who was part of the Boise State 2012 recruiting class.

I think you nailed it with your forecast. We are 2-3 scholarship below our previous average OL contingent. And what worries me is that outside Paradis none of the upperclassmen have been particularly dominant, good but not dominant.

We need at least 1 of these underclassmen to really come out and be a nimble road grader.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think your estimate of 2-3 scholarships below our previous average for the OL is EXTREMELY understated myself.

Normally Boise State has AT LEAST six offensive tackles and six offensive guards and three centers on SCHOLARSHIP........for a total of a MINIMUM of 15 offensive linemen on scholarship. As it stands right now, for the 2014 season, they have only NINE offensive linemen on scholarship for the 2014 season.

To make things worse on this........Boise State has only 13 scholarship Seniors on the team for this next season. Plus I believe they have - what - three guys who will have to be greyshirted this fall (there goes 3 of those 13 available scholarships for 2014) - plus they currently have three verbal commitments for 2014 (none of whom are offensive linemen). That leaves, by my count, only SEVEN scholarships left to give out for 2014 (aside from 2014 greyshirts).

Plus, right now, according to Brand Why, Boise State has only ONE offensive tackle who they have offered a scholarship..........count em............ONE...............who has a minimum of MEDIUM interest in Boise State. That being # 38 ranked (nationally) Layth Friekh out of Peoria, AZ. (three star prospect according to Brand Why). Plus they also currently have only ONE offensive guard who they have offered a scholarship and he's ranked # 6 nationally and has a slew of scholarship offers (again - according to Brand Why).

Rivals has similar results as far as 2014 Boise State offensive line prospects as they also show only one Offensive Guard and one Offensive Tackle who has a scholarship offer from Boise State for 2014 (and has at least MEDIUM interest in Boise State). Namely Natrell Curtis out of Phoenix, AZ. (the aforementioned guy who's ranked # 6 and has a slew of scholarship offers). The offensive tackle listed by Rivals has zero shot of being signed by Boise State (he's 6'7 340 lbs out of Georgia with tons of scholarship offers - many from SEC schools).

P.S. According to Rivals Layth Friekh currently has offers from SIX of the 12 PAC 12 teams - including Arizona and Arizona State (again - he's out of AZ.). Oregon, Oregon State, Utah and Washington have also offered him.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:25 AM by BroncoSaurus

Haha, I was thinking 2013. We are currently 2-3 below our average. In 2014 you are right it looks critical. I would think we need two JC kids this cycle and at least 2 if not 3 HS kids.

I would love to see a serious uptick in OL recruiting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What worries me is that it is not for lack of effort. We offered a shipload of OL last year and just did not get any takers... This year we have offered 5 OT's and and 4 of those 5 have already committed to other schools. we have offered 2 Guards and 1 is committed elsewhere..

Whenever I get worried about anything Boise State related I just remember this: 84-8

ADVERTISEMENT