ADVERTISEMENT

With the coming departure of the seven

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
With the apparent departure of the seven private non-football schools from the Big East I have to wonder if Boise State and San Diego State both might not just be better off to join the Big East as full conference members rather than as football only members.

Boise State especially.............seeing as how Boise State is going to have to pay hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Big West for their non-football sports. Frankly I think Boise State would actually SAVE money by joining the Big East as a full conference member. The only real argument against doing this, that I have heard mentioned, is that Boise State can't compete against the Big East schools in basketball. Maybe that is the case but given some of Boise State's men's basketball wins this season I think that argument is a bit weak. Especially since the seven private basketball schools are leaving the Big East.

Here are the projected schools who Boise State would have to compete against in Basketball after the seven private non-football schools leave (and after Louisville and Rutgers also leave) and how they are each ranked currently.

Cincinnati - Currently ranked # 12 in the nation on USA Today
San Diego State - Currently ranked # 15 in the nation on USA Today
Connecticut (currently 29th in voting on USA Today)
Houston
Memphis
Southern Methodist University
Temple
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida

The only other thing I've heard against this is the supposed increase in travel expenses for the non-football sports. But again...........given the fact that Boise State would not be having to pay the exorbitant fees to the Big WEST I don't think that's an issue at all.

Lastly, as a FULL conference member of the Big East Boise State would be getting a FULL share of all of the television revenue from the upcoming TV contract rather than only about a 70 percent share as a football only member.

Additionally Boise State's men's and women's sports team match up fairly well with the Big East Conference sports. Here is a breakdown on that for both men's and women's sports for Boise State vs. the Big East Conference sports for both men and women:

BIG EAST MEN'S SPORTS
Baseball - Boise State - NO
Basketball - Boise State - YES
Cross Country - Boise State - YES
Football - Boise State - YES
Golf - Boise State - YES
Lacrosse - Boise State - NO
Soccer - Boise State - NO
Swimming & Diving - Boise State - NO
Tennis - Boise State - YES
Indoor Track & Field - Boise State - YES
Outdoor Track & Field - Boise State - YES
The only Men's Sport that Boise State has that is not a conference sport in the Big East is wrestling and Boise State already competes in the PAC 12 in wrestling.

BIG EAST WOMEN'S SPORTS
Basketall - Boise State - YES
Cross Country - Boise State - YES
Field Hockey - Boise State - NO
Golf - Boise State - YES
Lacrosse - Boise State - NO
Rowing - Boise State - NO
Soccer - Boise State - YES
Softball - Boise State - YES
Swimming & Diving -Boise State - YES
Tennis - Boise State - YES
Indoor Track & Field - Boise State - YES
Outdoor Track & Field - Boise State - YES
Volleyball - Boise State - YES
The only Women's sport that Boise State has that is not a conference sport in the Big East is Gymnastics.

you guys should just go back to the mountainwest. the big east is dead. Heck those 7 teams might be able to take the big east name with them. all it is going to be is another version of conference usa. There will not be some great tv deal.

An Eastern and a Western division of the Big East (or whatever you want to call it would still be the best of the non-automatic qualifiers.

Boise State might even look at going independent in football like BYU with the recent rumors of a network wanting to nationally televise all of the Broncos' games.

The BB schools leaving is the best thing that could happen to the remaining BE FB schools. Too bad it didn't happen a decade ago.

I am looking forward to West and East divisions. The competition is better than most think.....reason why no Big East team dominated the conference ever (including WVU...best record was like 5-2 in conference when the won their BCS game).

As you see, there a lot of bashers of the Big East....but the reason is because they are fans of teams that either left the conference recently and/or are ACC fans. The ACC feels like it has to bash someone, since they are always bashed and has a losing record in head to head games to the Big East and sports a 2-12 BCS game record.

Welcome to the Big East and an sports inclusion is looking better each day (your hoops program is doing well) and now just need a few more West teams to round out the conference.

You're no doubt right on that but I also think that a LARGE amount of the anti Big East sentiment these days comes from ESPN as the Big East declined ESPIN's last TV offer.

I think what most informed Boise State fans are all waiting for (at this point) is the details of the new TV contract. Without that this is very tentative right now. As much as I hating quoting Tom Cruise it boils down to one of his famous movie lines..........SHOW ME THE MONEY
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT