ADVERTISEMENT

Please stop the pooch kicks

Ramrod19

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
after we went up 18-3 we pooch kick, goes out of bounds and completely changes the momentum of the game. Why not just kick it & make them go 80 yards.

Im not really sure I see how the pooch kick caused any of that... the pooch kick made them go 91 yards instead of 80 as I recall... maybe I need to go re-watch the game.... what seems to have let them back in the game was the inability of the defense to hold the edge against Sankey who had several big runs at the end of the half.

I know you will hate me, but I like the pooch kick... generally it work really well as a punt bc the QB cant out kick the coverage and cant kick it thru the endzone either lol.

Apparently Ramrod19's view of the game was VERY different from what everyone else saw. Here's the recap of Southwick's Pooch Punt in the game last Saturday - taken from the Play by Play listing for the game:

4th and 6 at WASH 37Joe Southwick punt for 33 yards, downed at the Wash 4.

That was Southwick's one and only "pooch" punt in that game:
PUNTING
T. Harmon - 4 - 149 yds - 37.3 average
J. Southwick - 1 - 33 yds - 33.0 average

Lastly, there is no penalty on a PUNT that goes out of bounds.

Trevor Harmon punted two punts out of bounds in that game. Both of those punts that were kicked out of bounds took place in the 2nd quarter of that game. Again - from the Play by Play listings of the game:

4th and 9 at BSU 36Trevor Harman punt for 42 yards, punt out-of-bounds at the Wash 22.

4th and 1 at BSU 41Timeout WASHINGTON, clock 1:49. Trevor Harman punt for 22 yards, to the WAS 37, out of bounds.

This post was edited on 12/26 2:15 PM by BroncoSaurus

Oh crap, I think Ram means that short sky kick we do for kick-offs sometimes.... I hear pooch and I think QBs....

But now that I read it that way.... Yes I hate the short sky kIck! Never really works... Just KI k the damn thing!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ahhh, I guess that helps explain what he was referring to. When I hear the term "pooch" in reference to a kick I think of a what everyone refers to as a pooch punt. And we have been using Southwick to do those pooch punts all season long. So naturally that's what I thought he was referring to here.

pull up the box score for Washington following that kick, they scored 3 plays later. It was a huge momentum shift all because of a dumb decision to get cute.

ADVERTISEMENT