ADVERTISEMENT

The Van-holes get to rejoin the Sun Belt Conference - AGAIN

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
Seeing as how the Sun Belt will only have 8 football schools this fall they have chosen to re-invite The University of Idunno and New Mexico State BACK into the Sun Belt Conference. But my lord what an awful conference this is going to be in 2014. And Conference USA is going to be almost as bad. Here's a breakdown of who is leaving the Sun Belt and who will be joining the Sun Belt in 2013 and 2014

CURRENT SUN BELT SCHOOL
1. Arkansas State
2. Louisiana-Lafayette
3. Louisiana-Monroe
4. Western Kentucky
5. Troy
6. South Alabama
University of Arkansas-Little Rock (non-football school)

--------SCHOOLS LEAVING IN 2013
Florida Atlantic University - Joining C-USA
Florida International University - Joining C-USA
Middle Tennessee State - Joining C-USA
North Texas - Joining C-USA

--------SCHOOLS JOINING IN 2013 (8 football schools for 2013)
7. Georgia State
8. Texas State
University of Texas-Arlington (non-football school)

--------SCHOOLS JOINING IN 2014 (12 football schools for 2014)
9. University of Idaho - Div IA Independent this fall (joins Sun Belt as football only school in 2014)
10. New Mexico State - Div IA Independent this fall (joins Sun Belt as football only school in 2014)
11. Appalachian State - moving up from D-1AA (ineligible for post season until 2015)
12. Georgia Southern - moving up from D-1AA (ineligible for post season until 2015

This post was edited on 3/26 10:53 AM by BroncoSaurus

Hopefully Arkansas State dominates. Will be between them and Georgia Southern. GSU has a really good football program. IMO, they'll be able to recruit really well now and should start winning right away (cause of that weak conference)
Posted from Rivals Mobile

IMO this is nothing more than a simple case of MUTUAL desperation.................
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I agree. Why be a celler dweller in the SunBelt, when you could be probably a middle of the pack in the Big Sky.

I thought I heard that they ARE going to the Big Sky..............in all of the other (non-football) sports.

That's what I thought..............but I heard on one of the local TV channels - during their sports segment portion of the "news" - that Idaho would be moving their non-football sports to the Big Sky. I can't recall which station it was but very likely either Channel 7 or Channel 6. This was just a couple of days ago when I heard this. When the news about Idaho going back to the Sun Belch Conference was "news".

Maybe they MEANT to say the W.A.C....................but I distinctly heard the "Big Sky". As it surprised me.

ADVERTISEMENT