ADVERTISEMENT

TRIVIA FROM JIM POORE

BroncoSaurus

Dec 20, 2001
The old timers (like me) who grew up here in Boise almost certainly will remember former Statesman sports writer Jim Poore - who died fairly young in Feb. 1990 after spending 2 1/4 years in a coma after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage on Christmas Eve of 1987. In his memorial book, which was put together by his fellow Statesman writer Tim Woodward, there was one article which was originally published on June 30, 1985, that was headlined as "Realy trivial sports quiz". I thought there were several interesting trivia questions in that column that I thought I'd ask here (NO PEEKING AT THE BOOK GUYS) to see if anyone could answer these trivia questions.

# 1. In 1951, the University of San Francisco football team defeated the University of Idaho 28-7 here in Boise in Bronco Stadium. Who was the University of San Francisco's sports information director at that time and who was the University of San Francisco's star player at that time?

# 2. In 1946 what future major league baseball manager (and major league player) was cut by the Idaho Falls team of the then Pioneer League after only 32 games - in which he committed 16 errors and hit for a .254 batting average?

# 3. In 1984 Boise State's Jake Jacoby won the N.C.A.A. High Jump championship but he was not the first athlete from an Idaho college or university to accomplish that feat. Who was the first collegiate athlete from the State of Idaho to win the N.C.A.A. high jump title?

# 4. Former U.S. Senator Steve Symms was once a college football player. What school and what position did he play in college?

# 5. The only major league baseball player to ever kill another player in the major leagues got his professional baseball career started here in Boise. Who was that player and who did he kill - and how?

Wow! I have no idea.... But question #5 really got my attention... By kill... Did you mean in a game??? That sounds horrible
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The answer to question # 1 is:

A. Pete Rozelle was the University of San Francisco's sports information director in 1951. Rozelle had graduated from U.S.F. only one year earlier in 1950 and spent two years as the S.I.D. at U.S.F.

B. U.S.F.'s "star" player at that time was Ollie Matson - who later was a perennial All-Pro player in the N.F.L. Matson rushed for 285 yds against Idaho that day in 1951 at Bronco Stadium here in Boise.

This post was edited on 4/19 2:24 PM by BroncoSaurus

Those are some pretty good questions and the answers are even better...

The answer to question # 2 is................Billy Martin. Who was also alleged to have beaten up a tuna fish salesman during his stay in Idaho Falls in 1946.

I freaking HATE tuna fish salesman!!! Especially the ones in Idaho!!!! So pushy and stink like potted meat!

1. wow ... Boise has a Pete Rozlle connection.
smile.r191677.gif

2. At first I thought of Bob Uecker but then I realized he wasn't old enough and besides he played for the Boise Braves.

3. I used to know this many years ago but have since forgotten.

4. This one is easy. The school is obvious to anyone who grew up here ... the position he played ... not so obvious. I don't think he was that big.

5. I know this one too. Can you say Boise Irrigators.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I'll hold off on my answers for now in case anyone else wants to guess.

The answer to # 3 is Steve Brown of Idaho State University. He won the NCAA high jump championship with a jump of 7' 1" in 1967. Brown was also the starting Center on Idaho State's basketball team.

The answers for # 4 are the University of Idaho and the position he played was Center.

The answers for # 5 are Carl Mays was the N.Y. Yankees pitcher who got his start in baseball here in Boise. On August 20, 1920, Cleveland shortstop Ray Chapman was hit in the head by a fastball thrown by Mays and Chapman died as a result.

Ek, still can't imagine getting killed by a fast ball to the head. How do you feel as the pitcher? Hope is wasn't an Intentional hit

ADVERTISEMENT